question re the sevylor sk100ds... - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-30-2015   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
question re the sevylor sk100ds...

Just curious, this boat has very little bow rise compared to other IKs, but always seems to go up and over big waves, just like a creeker, instead of going through them as one would expect. Is there some subtle rocker or a feature of the hull I am missing out on or what?
Just wondering if other users find this the case also.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015   #2
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I think it's just the fact that it's inflatable that makes it ride over waves rather than punching them, I've noticed that they will punch through waves when they are spaced close together, but if they are a boat length apart or so, you'll end up floating over the next wave. But compared to a tomcat, you punch way more waves (which in an IK like the SK100ds has it's advantages and disadvantages) sometimes you want the speed going through, but when you punch those waves it brings you to a dead stop. on the other hand, it drains pretty darn quick and can sometimes give you the pause you need to make another decision.
Old 10-30-2015   #3
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
Well said Mr. Fry.

I will add that while it's not always possible to go up and over every wave (like Fry said, when waves are spaced close together) but you can do some tricks when they are closer together than the boat's length. One is to cock your boat about 30 degrees to river left or river right and take them kind of sideways. Reduces the length of your boat for shorter waves. Likewise, you can really lean back big time as you drop into each wave, the boat is so little and light that you can really influence it quite a bit.
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015   #4
Paddling in to the Future

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Also, the little Sk100ds is very forgiving in just about any water. (I laid down and went backwards/sideways down black creek rapid on the Main Salmon the first week of August) you can hit most any wave, any way you want to increase fun.
Old 11-02-2015   #5

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Phillip,do you have any pics or videos from your trip? Could you send them to me on [email protected] ?
Thanks.
Jimmy.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote