Question about the Elk River... - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-11-2007   #1

Question about the Elk River...

Hi, I'm a newbie.

Can anyone tell me about the Seedhouse Road section of the Elk? I'd like to float it, but wonder about appropriate flows for my 14' raft, levels I should float it, and where the put in is. I think the take out is just upstream from Clark.

Oh and I'm I looking at pretty much class III?

THanks in advance,

Bill

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007   #2
NHINDS

The Elk is a good section of river for rafts but it is swift and cold as hell. I think you would probably want over 1,500 cfs in there to float a raft since it is a bit wider of a river bed below seedhouse. Everything is roadside so you can check it out on the way up. There are no eddies at all on the majority of the elk section, especially at 4,000 and over. I would give it a 3 + to a rafter since if one of you crew does fall out the current is pretty swift. If you need a saftey boater or someone to follow you down at a descent flow give me a buzz.
Old 04-12-2007   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHINDS View Post
The Elk is a good section of river for rafts but it is swift and cold as hell. I think you would probably want over 1,500 cfs in there to float a raft since it is a bit wider of a river bed below seedhouse. Everything is roadside so you can check it out on the way up. There are no eddies at all on the majority of the elk section, especially at 4,000 and over. I would give it a 3 + to a rafter since if one of you crew does fall out the current is pretty swift. If you need a saftey boater or someone to follow you down at a descent flow give me a buzz.
Thanks for taking the time for a reply. I would love to float this stretch of river. It would be great to float it with another boat. Do you live in the area and how much advanced planning do you need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2007   #4

Duhrango
It gets going pretty fast in there and eddies are not too common. I've done it a couple of times and each time we came upon downed trees all the way across the river. Not much time to stop.
Old 04-12-2007   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
It gets going pretty fast in there and eddies are not too common. I've done it a couple of times and each time we came upon downed trees all the way across the river. Not much time to stop.
Yeah, I've wondered about that. That river moves along a pretty good drop in elevation.
Old 04-13-2007   #6
NHINDS

I do live in Steamboat and am very flexible. Let me know if you are in the area. You can contact me throught the Paddling Life magazine -- for Paddling, Sea Kayaking, Whitewater Rafting, Kayaking, Canoeing, Kayak Fishing, Outrigger Canoe, Rec Boats and Touring, plus boating Blogs, Photos and News Clearinghouse. site. and the phone numbers you see there.

Thanks and I hope you come up and enjoy when the level rises. We will go look at it and see if it is clean when she starts running.
Old 04-13-2007   #7

That's quite a hyperlink, Nick.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007   #8
td

tree in box canyon

Not that you'd be taking a raft through Box canyon, but when we were skiing up there a couple weeks ago we noticed a tree all the way across the river below the falls in box canyon. It looked like the tree would probably be barely submerged at higher water, but maybe it'll wash out too. As for the lower elk, as long as you have solid skills in continuous clas 3 you should be okay in all but flood stage.
td is offline   Reply With Quote