Question about Pumphouse for IK run??? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2005   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Question about Pumphouse for IK run???

I am looking for an easy class III run to take my wife and sister on this weekend. We did filter plant a couple weekends ago, and they both did really well and want something more challenging, but not too hard. I haven't even been down the pumphouse run (I'm in a hardshell), but it seems like it would be a good trip for IK's. Any info on difficulty, hazards etc. CRC doesn't really say much about it.

Thanks!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005   #2

Pump House to State Bridge

Deep South,
This is a good beginner run.They will have fun,and I would recomend that you take out at state bridge so you run the Rancho Del Rio section down.Have fun and be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jacksplasticraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #3

Pumphouse is pretty easy. It's more class II than class III. And it has lots of flat water.

It looks like class III near the front range is done for the year. The Deckers/Chutes run is pretty, but it's class II. Shoshone is class III if you are willing to drive.

If you want to do technical class III+, Foxton may work. But, you have to be on your toes for that. It may be too much for the wife.

Enjoy!
stiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2005   #4

Pumphouse run

There is a great map with detailed info from the Kremmling BLM. The Upper Colorado River Recreation Area. You may be able to download this, but BLM online is having some problems with accessing info. You can call the BLM in Kremmling at (970)724-3437, and request it. It's a fun run, with some great places to stop after Yarmony Rapids (Hoyt Rapid). Have Fun!
duckygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The guide Duckygirl's talking about is has detailed topo coverage from Gore Canyon to Dotsero, is waterproof, and handy. Its a bit out of date but worth having along. Check the local boating shops as they may have it (Down River Equipment has carried it).

If you want a tame, pleasant run, above Dotsero from Cottonwood Island to I-70 is a good 5-mile into to moving water and may not be as crowded as Pumphouse. Easy hitchike shuttle, pools below a half-dozen Class II rapids, scout from road, and near Glenwood (Griz. Crk. to town) if you want to run that as an alternative.

Have a good time,

--Andy
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #6

Marine Biologist
class III

try the Arkansas for good class III. Fractions is a good run for beginners and frogrock (walking the hazardous rapid with the sieve, Frogrock itself) is also a good choice. Parkdale is a great class III section, but may be too technical. The Ark's at a good level though, and is a close 2.5 hours from Denver. The Milk run is also a good choice for newbies. Check the bible (CRCII) for put-in and takeout beta. Or the Golden playpark. Short bt sweet
|(@(@)""""""""**|(@)(@)***|(@)
will raft 4 beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #7

Ran pumphouse yesterday to Yarmaony bridge! very laong and very flat!9%rapid/moving water to 91% FLAT some reminicent of lakes!
I ran this in a 10 foot raft to scout to take intro kayakers! If I ever go back it will be at higher water and would only run pumphouse to radium as the amount of flat water below is too much even though the Yarmony rapid might be the best? I will go back at these flows with raft or Kayak and do Yarmony to state bridge 40% rapid/moving water to 60% FLAT

Dont get me wrong i thoroughly enjoyed the float it is beautiful and spectacular scenery, with a hot spring if you like that when its 90 degrees! and some quality cliff jumping!!!

Definatly Fractions on the Ark. my freind was very tired from the numbers section and missed the line at Frog rock!!!! NOT a good place to be!!! He survived bracing himself in the seive..water roostertailing over his head......but his paddle still lies in the depths of the undercut left of the seive.. it took 1/2 hour to reach his boat!
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
thanks for the info....

I ran fractions and from rock in my kayak, and there were lots and lots of little boulder gardends. I was hoping for something that didn't have as many rocks with more of a clear channel. Maneuvering IKs around all the rocks in fractions would be a pain in the ass and would most likely result in a pin / swim (this happened to my wife before and she didn't like it).

Any thoughts on the blue below green mountain res? The gradient looks like it would be more continuous. If if is easy class III, then that might be a good option too. It sounds like the first part of pumphouse to radium is good though.

Appreciate the help... And I don't want 90% flatwater so THANKS!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #9

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Glenwood Canyon from Grizzley Creek to Glenwood Springs is a good run, spectacular scenery, less flatwater and easy rapids, and a hot spring near the trip's end.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005   #10

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
All good runs. If you go Pumhouse to Radium you'll cut out some very long flatwater sections (you'll have flatwater, some II+ type rapids, with Yarmony maybe being an easy III-, but it is below Radium. Yarmony Bridge (free) to State Bridge (free at the lodge) will be a little less flatwater, and is a great beginner run with small gentle rapids, but is a shorter section. It's where all the Eagle County boaters learn to kayak. Good for a 1-2 hour run of about 5 miles with maybe 5 small rapids. The last one is some waves and small breaking waves with an eddy that runs alongside. It dumps into a big lake-like area. Great place for surfing, trying to roll, etc. that dumps swimmers into big lake-eddy. The whole Upper C area is very beautiful and is generally is a lazy flat water run with a few beginner type rapids thrown in. I saw a bald Eagle on the 4th of July flying around with a snake in a cool canyon type section.

Grizz Creek to Glenwood has only a few defined "rapids" but is more of continuous moving water with holes and waves scattered around here and there. It would be another good one if you are willing to drive. Go to South Canyon to hit a larger rapid and a longer run.

Cemetary on the Roaring Fork might be an option. I haven't run the RF, and haven't checked the flow, but I've heard that it is a fun beginner stretch that is class II character with maybe a III or III- thrown in for fun.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote