Pyranha Ammo Sizing - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2015  

Salmon, Idaho
Pyranha Ammo Sizing

I'm looking at buying a Pyranha Ammo, size L and unfortunately going to see the boat isn't an option for me right now. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the sizing on these boats. From what I have been able to research they are pretty roomy, but I'm 6'6" with size 13s. A review I read had a paddler at 6'1" say he was pretty comfortable in the M, which makes me thing I would be fine, but does anyone have any more info that would help me here?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015  

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
I own a MD Ammo. And Its became my "River runner of choice" over the last year. I even use it for self support trips.

I boated a diesel 80 a ton before the Ammo.

Both boats are very similar in size around the cockpit. Mostly the same fit.

The MD ammo is a big boat for a MD size and you would fit just fine. The LG might be better for you, its not really that much bigger than a MD

Let me know if you have any specific ammo questions.

Salmon, Idaho
Hey thanks for the reply! I called Pyranha today and they weren't that confident in saying I would fit, recommended that I try to sit in it (which of course would be my preference if possible). At 6'6" I am quite a bit taller than you (I see you're 5'10"?) but the boat I am looking at is the large. Would you say you have quite a bit of extra room in the MD?

I don't have many ammo specific questions, but anything that you feel worth mentioning about the boat could be helpful!

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015  

Kirtland, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 06
What are you planning on using it for?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 06-12-2015  

Bazzaro, Free
My AMMO MD set up is seat ALL THE WAY FORWARD! 2" of close cell under my ass and I wear size 11 brewers with more leg room to be had. I'm somewhere in the middle of my foot/bulkhead adjustments. I don't know what you weight but I would think that anything under 200 lbs (you with gear) would be MD over 200 lbs would be LG???? But the LG really isn't a whole lot bigger.

I don't know how much you have paddled the AMMO but it does have some strange behaviors.

Salmon, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskido View Post
What are you planning on using it for?

Everything!

I'm fairly new to kayaking, so I'll pretty much just be paddling my local class 2/3- stuff for awhile. But I progress quickly and have lots of confidence so I want something that will make it little more interesting and be fairly good all round. Honestly I wanted something with a bit more play (SuperFun) but really anything would work and the Ammo seems like a good fit.
Old 06-12-2015  

Salmon, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
But the LG really isn't a whole lot bigger.

I don't know how much you have paddled the AMMO but it does have some strange behaviors.
Have you paddled the LG as well then? I weigh 210, and with my legs I'm sure I need the LG. I have't ever paddled an AMMO, but it sounds like what I want, and like I said its a good deal (which I've been hunting for for awhile)

Thanks for the assistance!
Old 06-12-2015  

Bazzaro, Free
I have paddled a lg. It was just too big for me. At 210, I would not go for the MD. I really like my AMMO. Its light and easy to boss around. It climbs out of holes really nicely. Awesome in the front surf. But you need to stay aggressive and drive the boat forward. I had to make an adjustment to my roll in the AMMO. To me it feels like it rolls "slow." Not hard to roll but I just need to slow down my motions. Its kinda like there is a spot at about the 1/2 point where it feels like the boat wants to slow down and then it slides right up all smooth like. It kinda freaked me out at first. Its not as stable as the burn2.

I think the lg ammo would do you well from want said above. I'd pass on the md.

Salmon, Idaho
Ok great! Thanks again for all the info and advice. Much appreciated.
Old 06-13-2015  

Kirtland, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 06
I had a lrg, fuckin loved that boat but certainly wasn't much of a play boat, I could surf the shit out of some really big waves, but smaller waves and holes it was just too damn big. If you can fit a med I'd go that route, lrg is more comparable to the hero not so much the fun... I had tons of room but I'm only 5'9 and never sat in a med. Really loved that boat, fun everywhere!