push my luck - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2008   #1

push my luck

so i'm a parapelegic and i need to kayak...
i don't have a death wish but i don't know my limits either, so
does any one out there have thoughts on my situation?
recently i bought a 13ft raft and i've been out a dozon time the problem i'm having is i'm not close enough with the water and a raft no matter the size seems tankish, so blaah this is where i am. help........

tonkatruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008   #2

Web Developer/Programmer
I can't really help, but I do recall some posts a few years ago from a paraplegic working in his role. For some reason I recall him saying he was a T2 paraplegic. Maybe he is still a buzzard and will chime in.
Old 07-21-2008   #3

I paddled with a guy a few years ago who was a parapelegic. He had no use of his legs below the knee but could still use his hips and thighs (don't know if there's a term for this or not). He was a kickass playboater so know that it can be done. He was very careful river running simply because of his limited ability to help himself in certain situations. He would paddle class III and would do the occassional IV with a solid crew that he knew well. Thought I heard about a similar guy who paddled class V but that may just be a myth. I would say go for it but make sure you take the time to develop the necessary skills and not get in over your head. There's that River Runners organization for wounded vets, too, they may have some good tips.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Lesson?

Have you checked with any local shops to see what they would do for a lessons on rolling? That might jump start you and perhaps open up a social network to go boating with. You might also think about talking to some commercial groups about tagging along in your own boat on some of your first river trips. The benefit with that is the professional rescue experience and "rent a friend" aspect. I recently did this sort of a thing to learn to run the Lochsa, found a great crew of commercials, had a blast, and now I'm ALMOST comfortable with the river. Sure, commercial trips aren't ideal, but if you want to get "into" boating and don't have your own connections set up, they can be a great way to break in.

Have fun in your quest for whitewater!
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #5
BKC

River Runners

I have a friend in St. Louis that works with the River Runners organization. Sounds like a great organization with chapters across the US. Here is one site I found: http://www.teamriverrunner.org/welcome.php

If you don't have much luck there, e-mail me and I'll call my friend for you: [email protected]

I also read somewhere about someone in the PNW area who is doing exactly what you are interested in. The PDX yahoo group might be a resource as well.
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
I saw a parapalegic kayaker at the takeout for Westwater: Westwater

I couldn't tell until he got out of his kayak and dragged himself up the boat ramp using his arms.

I'd say go for it. Start in a pool with a certified kayak instructor and see if you can get a roll working. When you get on moving water make sure you have an experienced kayaker with you.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #7
J

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Quote:
Originally Posted by l-dot View Post
I can't really help, but I do recall some posts a few years ago from a paraplegic working in his role. For some reason I recall him saying he was a T2 paraplegic. Maybe he is still a buzzard and will chime in.
I remember this too, but the buzz search is turning up nothing.

Admins????
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #8

Kudos

While I really can't help too much with advice, I'd like to say I really applaud your attitude. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders for not (pardon the pun) diving right in, and I applaud not letting a handicap hold you back.

While whitewater is a blast, have you looked into Sea Kayaks as they're a lot of fun as well? It may be a good place to start to learn general boat skills, although not all of them would apply to whitewater. The other thing I would try is a roll class in a pool, or even better on a lake. It's a safe enviornment (for anyone) to learn some of the basics. Not knowing you well or how much functionality you have, there may be issues with coming up with a good roll. Paddling on a lake will also let you get the feel of paddling a whitewater kayak, which is quite different than a raft. You may find after a roll session, you don't like being upside down with water clogging your ears and the like.
schubutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #9
J

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to J
Also, if you are OK swimming, don't let a lack of roll stop you. I spent my entire first summer swimming pretty much every time I went upside down and still had a blast. Wouldn't want to be in any serious whitewater swimming, but as a beginner its kind of a rite of passage.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008   #10

J's absolutely right

We all swim a lot. Ok, I swim probably more than most, since I still suck.

Absolutely, you're not going to have a good roll for probably your whole first season, but being able to swim well is essential.
schubutt is offline   Reply With Quote