pumphouse to low for newbie? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-02-2012   #1

evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 08
pumphouse to low for newbie?

Is pumphouse to low fpr beginer in 14 ft. raft?

pflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You won't get hurt

We did it last week in 16' cats. The wind was a b**ch and the trip was long. If you can read/follow the water you can make it. If not, get out and pull/push.
chateaunoname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #3
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You'll get through alright. At low water it's a rock garden and there are gravel bars too. Did it last weekend in a 16 foot raft. As chateaunoname said the wind was a b**ch. Went back next day and ran it again in a ducky. Ducky was way more fun.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012   #4

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Where did you take out?
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #5

avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I am a newbie also. I have no formal experience at all and we have done Pumphouse to Radium 4 times in last 2 weeks. nothing to really worry about. There are a couple of tight spots. I think one is called Thread the needle, has large rock right in center of river. I have taken both lines, right and left. Right is getting shallow, but left is very tight. I took right line Wednesday and just pull the oars in and play bumper cars. It is very short chute. Other than that just know to transfer your weight in the boat to the high side, the side that gets stuck on the rock, and you'll be fine.

That being said I am assuming you can swim good and are not afraid of the water. If you can't swim or are afraid than be very cautious.

When are you going out? I was thinking of going out tomorrow if it looks like weather isn't going to be to bad. NOAA says 20 % chance of showers after PM and only light winds. It takes about 3 hrs at most to make it to Radium. Wind has been bad lately, but not the end of the world. Sunday and Wednesday were fine.
hawktoy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012   #6
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
I took out at Radium too. I had planded to take out at Rancho but the wind was blowing my raft 50 yard up stream every time it gusted. The run from Radium to Ranch is mostly dead flat. The day we went down in the ducky it started to get cold. We took a warm bath in the hot springs and again took out Radium.
Old 06-02-2012   #7

avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
David what day was it that you didn't make it to Rancho? I picked up a Guy and Girl and gave them a ride back to Pumphouse I believe last Saturday. Was that you? I drive a Blue Dodge truck.
Old 06-02-2012   #8
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Saturday I had a great ride back to Rancho on the back of a motor cycle. Sunday my lady friend rode back to get her vehicle. Lot's of great people on this stretch of river.
Old 06-08-2012   #9
RK

., .
Paddling Since: .
Hit the upper stretch Tuesday/Wednesday under the moonlight/shadows. A few lights saved the float during the eye. Radium takeout is a haul with a heavy boat. If anyone ever wants to fish this stretch weekdays holler
RK is offline   Reply With Quote