Pumphouse to Catamount? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2010   #1

edwardsville, Illinois
Paddling Since: 1993
Upper Colorado river from Pumphouse to Catamount, please help

I'm looking to canoe the Upper Colorado from Pumphouse to Catamount. How many days will this stretch take? I have been canoeing for about 20 years now and only have experience on Missouri rivers (class I and II). Is this a tough stretch for a canoe? Or would you suggest a raft? Any suggestions for a reasonably priced raft rental? I'm looking to go with a buddy the last weekend in June.

Thanks in advance!

vacca2256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010   #2

Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Eye of the Needle and Yarmony are two significant rapids you'll want to be aware of, especially at these flows. They are class III I believe, and you don't want to hit the rock on Eye of the Needle or go into the hole on Yarmony. Eye of the needle also has a second hole after the rock on the right that can catch you off guard. You can run Eye of the Needle either side, I've always gone right, then moved left of the second rock/hole. Yarmony is best run left. It's usually pretty easy to get left early and stay there, then move into the wave train once you are paste the hole. At higher flows, the hole just gets wider, so it can get a bit trickier.

I'm not sure, but I think you could portage both if you had to, especially with a canoe. I never really paid that much attention to that possibility because I'm a rafter and don't worry about it too much in a raft. Square up and hit the line in a raft and no problem... LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #3

Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I have canoed from Pumphouse and pulled out at Dotsero/I70. You can also pull out at Lyon's Gulch. You can make it from pumphouse to Burns easily in one day. From Burns you can get to the Pyramid Point camp area the second day and then make the final push the 3rd day. It took us 3days total and 2 nights on the river. I did it in October 2002 at lower flows and still dumped the boat 3 times on the way(mainly in little gore canyon twice - note the 2 holes outlined in previous response!!!). Also I used 50' bow and stern lines to float boat through other rapids at a number of locations along the way. I would avoid doing this in a canoe at the current flow rates. You can rent a raft at Rancho Del Rio if you want.
marks4runr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010   #4

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Boilermaker nailed it for that stretch. Another option is to put in at Rancho and skip those rapids alltogether. If you put in at Rancho and float to Catamount, it would take you 5-7 hours depending on flow. Rancho to Catamount is all class 1 & 2 and there are campspots along the way. Check out for more info: http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...ure_032305.pdf

I think you can rent rafts at Rancho though I don't know the prices. If you are going through Denver, you can rent rafts at http://www.aaainflatables.com/. Again, don't know the prices.

Having canoed that stretch before, I would recommend going with a raft. It is more comfortable and probably safer!
hduncan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #5

Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Correction to my post above!! I meant Bond, not Burns in 1st day. There are a number of nice camp grounds on river left(South) there just above Bond at Windy Point. hduncan88 gave some good info, especially the BLM link. I used that same link when planning my trip. Also check following page for Rancho Del Rio:

www.ranchodelrio.com/ranchorivermap.htm
marks4runr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've done those stretches a few times in a canoe. Once from State Bridge to Dotsero and once from Pumphouse to Dotsero. We dumped the boat several times on both trips. Be prepared you almost certainely will flip your canoe. That being said it's really fun if you don't mind swimming. Make sure everything is straped in well. Or you can call Alpen Glow in Golden for a raft rental in addition to the others mentioned.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #7

edwardsville, Illinois
LOL, sounds like it will be an adventure then, were did dump at? Yarmony or Eye of the needle?

Thanks again!
Old 06-07-2010   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacca2256 View Post
LOL, sounds like it will be an adventure then, were did dump at? Yarmony or Eye of the needle?

Thanks again!
All of the above and then some others. By the way canoes will take some abuse. I recall going down river with the stern completely submerged and the bow going nearly vertical with the bottom of the canoe hitting the bottom of the river in every trough of the wave train. I rode it that way for a remarkable long time. Be safe out there and don't do it if its high or rent a raft, I'd say more then 2000 on the pumphouse gauge.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
My .02 at this level is get a raft. Eye of the needle will be a wash, and getting around Yarmony on left is not a tough line at all. If you know water, you could read and run it on an or rig in three easy, beer drinking, scenic days. Enjoy brotha. Great stretch of relaxing and fun river.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #10

edwardsville, Illinois
Nice

There will be plenty of beer drinking, I guess I'll be going for the raft, plus it can hold more beer!! Thanks for the .02

Tags
canoe, catamount, pumphouse, state bridge, upper colorado