Pumphouse this weekend - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-11-2011   #1

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Pumphouse this weekend

Anyone running this weekend or want to run it. Let me know. Its at 5k now coming up a little slower than it was with the cold front, back to 70s by Friday.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011   #2

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I might be able to run it on Sunday
ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #3

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I may be interested for Sunday too. Torn between the poudre and here.
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2011   #4

We are planning a 3 day raft trip from Pumphouse to Dotsero. Fri.-Sun. or Sat.-Mon. Let me know if you are into doing a trip like this.

We are familiar with the section from Pumphouse to State Bridge, but would love some feedback on the river below State Bridge to Dotsero. Does anyone know if there are obvious camping spots along the way? If camping is sparse, where should we have our eyes peeled?

Thanks!
jennifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #5

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
We are planning a 3 day raft trip from Pumphouse to Dotsero. Fri.-Sun. or Sat.-Mon. Let me know if you are into doing a trip like this.

We are familiar with the section from Pumphouse to State Bridge, but would love some feedback on the river below State Bridge to Dotsero. Does anyone know if there are obvious camping spots along the way? If camping is sparse, where should we have our eyes peeled?

Thanks!
Here are a couple links with good info. We were planning an overnighter but a day trip is fine too. What time are you lanching on Friday or Saturday? We should be there Friday night.
Camping below State Bridge is good. Windy point has some nice tree cover. You can get to it from a car so usually someone is there. The next camp Double Pine is a nice camp. Juniper Glen is good. Jack Flats is great has two spots, the first camp is good and one more where the river turns right is nice under some nice pine trees. Heads up for a railroad bridge a ways after rodeo rapid, there is a concrete bridge pyoln right center that could be a problem at high water. Go left of it at medium flows. Also some bridges are low you may have to duck when going under it. After that I don't remember any spots that weren't accessible by car. Let me know when you guys are launching.

State Bridge to Dotsero

Colorado River Guide.pdf
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #6

We were planning on launching earlier on Friday morning, but we could launch Sat. morning and go through Monday instead. We have a 4 day weekend, and thought we'd need 3 days for the whole stretch.

Jennifer
jennifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011   #7

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Bull Gulch, river left after the railroad bridge pylon is a beautiful camp and away from the road. Below that, be aware of the old steel twin bridges. You'll come down a calm straight away and you'll see a house on the left bank above the left bank, then the river bends sharply to the right going through the bridges. Line up in the center and run the center slot of the bridges, but be on your toes to counter the current.
Also, re Rodeo, above 5k there is a sneak along the left bank.
DrBigDog is offline   Reply With Quote