Pumphouse @ High Water - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-31-2011   #1

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Pumphouse @ High Water

What is Pumphouse like at these flows? Its at 8500 now and rising, higher than its been since 1984. I read the run has the snowpack to peak at near 12,000.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011   #2

Frisco, Colorado
dunno, but will try it today in a 14 ft cat, leaving frisco at 10-1030.
going to try and thumb the shuttle.
Rich
three-oh-three-909-8877 if ya wanna give it a shot.
master of disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #3

Golden, Colorado
At least 2 dogs drowned this weekend on the Pumphouse section. I saw lots of dogs and even a few people without PFDs. Lots of people in shorts and T-shirts floating on ice water. Darwinism is in full effect for this season, starting now.

It was easy, everything was pretty washed out... but it is moving fast and there were flips every day. We saw a raft flip at Keyhole, a.k.a. Needle's Eye, or whatever you may call it.

Our kids and dogs stayed at camp, but we are pretty conservative. I'd say wear a life jacket and dress for a swim and you'll be fine... kind of surprising to me how many people don't do even that much.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011   #4

North Denver, Colorado
Can't make it up today, let me know how it goes, Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by master of disaster View Post
dunno, but will try it today in a 14 ft cat, leaving frisco at 10-1030.
going to try and thumb the shuttle.
Rich
three-oh-three-909-8877 if ya wanna give it a shot.
Old 05-31-2011   #5

North Denver, Colorado
The flip you saw in Needle Eye, did they go over sideways, small boat? Was up there a couple weeks ago around 4500 saw people in shorts no shirt or pfds boozin early which is not good on high ice water. Is it still easy to get left of Yarmony hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
At least 2 dogs drowned this weekend on the Pumphouse section. I saw lots of dogs and even a few people without PFDs. Lots of people in shorts and T-shirts floating on ice water. Darwinism is in full effect for this season, starting now.

It was easy, everything was pretty washed out... but it is moving fast and there were flips every day. We saw a raft flip at Keyhole, a.k.a. Needle's Eye, or whatever you may call it.

Our kids and dogs stayed at camp, but we are pretty conservative. I'd say wear a life jacket and dress for a swim and you'll be fine... kind of surprising to me how many people don't do even that much.
Old 05-31-2011   #6

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
We'll be headed down this weekend (june 3rd-5th) and I was just hoping to chat with somebody that ran it to make sure that the river left line was doable at Yarmony. My 14' Highside would get eaten in the yarmony hole right now (8450cfs).
fking907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #7

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I was there this weekend, carnage all around. Talked to a guy that was about to bury his dog on the bank down-stream of yarmony, he was with a group of seven that flipped and lost everything, (nothing tied down!!) Saw two others that flipped in needles and nearly froze to death (rescued by commercial boaters). None of these folks were prepared for any river, let alone 42 degree Colorado River. If you don't think enough of your dog to buy him a pfd maybe you should take him to a shelter where he might get adopted by somebody that will
bookmillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #8

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by fking907 View Post
We'll be headed down this weekend (june 3rd-5th) and I was just hoping to chat with somebody that ran it to make sure that the river left line was doable at Yarmony. My 14' Highside would get eaten in the yarmony hole right now (8450cfs).
You can go either side at this level. I chose the right on Saturday but left looked good as well
bookmillone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #9

HSS, Colorado
When it got this high in the 90's, the problem wasn't the hole at Yarmony, but the lower shelf there. A right hand run allows you a little more lee way to maneuver away from the left side cliff below. Left side run pushes you towards the new hole on the lower shelf. It's worth a scout if your not familiar with it.

Common sense prevails... dress to get wet, and if all you have is low water or flat water experience, consider hooking up with someone who's comfortable running white water.
rafterswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011   #10

North Denver, Colorado
So if you go right do you just bow left and pull off the hole and the left wall or can you push past the hole and stay right of the hole on the lower wall. How much room is on the right side of the hole between the edge of the hole and the right bank?

Tags
lyons creek clinic