Pump house during Gore Fest? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-11-2005   #1

Pump house during Gore Fest?

Thinking about taking my parents down mighty pump house the weekend of Gore Fest. I'm not much of a fest sort of person so I've never been. How chaotic is the Pump house put in at that time. Would we have a problem unloading a raft at the put in and camping on the water sat night? Never camped on pump house. Do you need a res/permit to camp? I can't remember. I'd hate to show up with a $275 raft rental and not be able to put on. Thanks for the info.

bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005   #2

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
You should be fine, the ramps are not too busy, except the commercial outfitters, you dont need a permit, but you do need to pay the daily use fee's at pumphouse. The camping is also pretty good, you shouldt have a problem getting a spot. good run for the folks...
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #3

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Bigboater -
$275 raft rental???? If you were running Cataract or Westwater, that's one thing but that seems really steep for a few hours on the river.

Call the local raft companies up here and see what you can swing. Their season's drawing to a close and maybe they can give you a deal on a raft for the day before they put them in storage. Save yourself a few bucks and that way you can buy us a keg at Gorefest!
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2005   #4

I wouldn't waste my time at current flows. My lower limit with a raft is 700 cfs and even then it's bony and a long float to Rancho. Save your cash.
jeffreyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #5

Partyboy---maybe you could Safety Boat for the guy going down the Pumphouse Run or better he he can safety raft for you in the "eye of the needle"!!!!

How was your numbers run? heard ya greased #5 by walking around it!!! You WUSS!!!! Sack up! I have seen hot chicks run that shit upside down from top to bottom.

See you up there, bring your drinking bootie!

DP
K2boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #6

Ya, I really didn't want to fork out $275 but I asked for a good place to get a raft deal for a 2 day trip, and didn't get a whole lot of positive feed back. I had to resort to Monty Python skits Which outfitter would you recommend trying for a better price? Hell I buy a keg for anyone over 21 of course) who can hook me up.

I'm not real concerned about the water level. I never really considered pumphouse to be about the white water anyway(Because I don't really remember any), I just want a nice easy float with the folks. Unless of course you’re saying that we would be pushing most of the way? That would suck. With 2 days we have plenty of time to get from point A to B.

Thanks for the help ya'll.
Old 08-11-2005   #7

I'm pretty sure you won't have to push in a raft as long as it's over 550 (unless you aim for the half a dozen or so shallow spots). Obviously it depends a little on the load you're carrying, too.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #8

I push rubber down to 350 cfs. lower it is the better the fishing, typically.
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #9

Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
Bigboater - try Lakota Guides, Timberline Tours, or Nova Guides. It may be fruitless because their insurance companies may not allow them to rent rafts to non-certified guides. Can't hurt to try.

Pappas - I have been told I need to tone it down on Mtn Buzz, so I will let your comments slide. Watch out at Gorefest - I'm gonna cut your balls off with my rusty machete you ass-licker!
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005   #10

Thanks for the scoop Ya'll. Should be a good time.