pueblo ww park?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-23-2006   #1

Cody, Wyoming
pueblo ww park??

is the pueblo park worth a visit at current flows? i will be in town over the weekend while my wife volunteers as a judge for an event at the state fair, and i was wondering if i should bring my boat and spend saturday at the park. i have never been, so there will be some fun gained just from going somewhere new, but is the flow enough to enjoy?

also, is there any fluctuation in the flow, it is now at 350 +/- and i was wondering if the dam engineers can shut it off w/o notice (or increase it to more desired levels)? can someone give me directions on how to get there and where to park too?

thanks in advance. plan to be there most of the day saturday unless i hear otherwise. later.

pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
I checked it out at 700 and was not too impressed. Ends could fly, but it was pretty shallow even at that level. Maybe it chanelizes more at low water. If you've got all day Satuday, you could try to hook up with some folks for a float down the Royal Gorge. It's a fun play run. I'd bet if you sat at the Parkdale putin with paddle and a grin, someone would invite you along.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #3

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Current flow is 300 some @ poblo...don't bother. The gorge is a good idea.
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2006   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
It doesnt really channelize much. It spiked to 900 the other day and yes it can change quickly when they call for water but follow their advice and do parkdale or gorge.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #5
bkp
Butt-boater

Photographer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Of course there isn't a whole lot of water this time of year and, yes, if you have the time the gorge is probably a better bet. But you know I have been in the park paddling down to about 100cfs. No, there are no loops, and, yes, it does get shallow (I can show you the scrape on my knuckles and shoulder), but it all beats hangin' out at the fair, fallin' asleep in the Barnes & Noble, or even an hour on a treadmill at the gym. So if you have to be in town and are the kind of person who can find a way to have fun even at low flows, then by all means bring your boat! I will be on the water and loving every cubic foot!

-Bryan

PS-There are also some killer singletrack trails that I could tell you about if you'd rather bring a mtn bike.
Old 08-23-2006   #6
bkp
Butt-boater

Photographer, Colorado
I almost forgot....If you are going to be in town for the fair over Labor Day weekend we are scheduled to have a release of water from the Lake Pueblo Dam. It may only be 600-800cfs, but hey, we can still have some fun at that level. ALSO we are planning on another scheduled release Sept. 22-24 as part of the Pueblo Chile & Frijole Festival (SEE THE PLAYPARK FORUM). It is a great time. We get a good crowd, there is lots to do, see, eat & drink!

-Bryan
Pueblo Paddlers
Old 08-23-2006   #7

pueblo

get ready for some serious urban action - i was quite surprised that the "river" is confined in a grafittied concrete chanel, with many homeless people living in the trees. features were good when i was there, i was just weirded out by the atmosphere.
Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
LOL, people living in the trees....crack me up. Its not that ghetto and you have to embrace its uh....unique beauty.

BTW, around 400 I was able to find a little bit of a hole in #7...
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006   #9
bkp
Butt-boater

Photographer, Colorado
and here's your graffitti...

Largest Mural
The Pueblo Levee Project in Pueblo, Colorado, USA, has produced the largest mural in the world at 16,554.8 m² (178,200 ft²). The wall itself is over 5.63 km (3.5 miles) but the connected murals are almost 3.21 km (2 miles) long. It is 17.67 km (58 ft) tall.
Begun in the 1970s, the mural contains the back-to-back contributions of thousands of artists aged five to 65. The art varies as much as the artists – depicting everything from the History of Women to Andy Warhol replicas. It costs nothing to make your own contribution to the mural, although currently only recycled paint is allowed to be used. -The Guiness Book of World Records.

Sorry if it "weirded" you out.
But you are always welcome back anytime.
-Bryan
Pueblo Paddlers
Old 08-23-2006   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
In all fairness, that is pretty much the definition of graffiti. Sounds like cool graffiti though.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark