Pueblo Park modifications - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-31-2006   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Pueblo Park modifications

I speant the last couple of days in Pueblo working to improve the number 7 drop. I just wanted to update everyone since I said I would. We had to get in and do a "quick fix" since the Army Corps could not agree on what the problem was and how to fix it. So as a result the City of Pueblo paid to get in there. So if you are Pueblo local and know Scott Hobson tell him thanks because he really pushed this through.

We raised the tailwater below number 7 at least a foot with a mattress of rock and cobble at number 8. It took the bite out of that drop. I could attain it in my slalom boat there yesterday. Hope everyone has a better season down there this year without having to stress about your roll in number 6.

Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006   #2

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Cool, bro, thanks for the 411. I remember dropping into #7 after that place first opened thinking "playpark, right, friendly holes." That was a bumpy (and long) ride.
Old 03-31-2006   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Do you feel like working on the stuff in Golden?

ben
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate it. Saw some kids caught on their raft their last year. Should make for a better year.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006   #5
bkp
Butt-boater

Photographer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Mike,

Thanks a ton for all your work! I got in number 7 with Jay from The Edge Ski, Paddle & Pack on Thursday. It is 1000% better! I can't wait to see how it reacts with increased flows. It should be a blast. We are looking forward to showing off the "park" in our first annual "Ice Breaker Rodeo and Boat Demo" on April 22nd. Consider yourself invited. We also have plans for 3 more events in the "park" this season. Each time we have been promised 600-1000cfs for the weekend.

See you on the river.

-Bryan Kelsen
Sec. Pueblo Paddlers
www.bryankelsen.com
Old 04-02-2006   #6

I heard a rumor that they were turning the water on this week. Any troof to dat? When. How much?
Old 04-03-2006   #7

Loveland, Colorado
Hey all,
We've heard that rumor, too. I didn't take the opportunity last year, but now that spring is on again, I thought it might be good to do a little explaining about how Reclamation runs Pueblo Dam and how that impacts this section of the Arkansas through Pueblo.

It's the responsibility of the State Engineer's Office to oversee how water rights are managed here in Colorado. In the case of this stretch of river, there are several agreements in place regarding participating municipalities. Currently, those municipalities are meeting their agreements by running various "exchanges" for water, moving it different places. When the municipalities turn to the river more than exchanges, the SEO will call us to adjust the gates at Pueblo Dam for a higher release rate.

We haven't gotten that call, yet. We're guessing Thursday, but that is strictly a guess.

Reclamation is really just a "middle man" in all of this, as the operator of Pueblo Dam and the Fryingpan-Arkansas Project. But, if any of the information I have helps explain the way the decisions on the river come about, I'm happy to share. Let me know if it's helpful. Thanks!

Happy Spring!
--Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006   #8

It would be super helpful if you could let us know about the waterworks a little in advance. Thanks alot.
Old 04-03-2006   #9
gh

pnw, Colorado
Klamb, your post as always are very helpful. Thanks again for posting. I want to make sure that I understand. All releases from the Pueblo reservoir are 'called' releases and are to meet downstream demands? I thought during a specific time period that there had to be a certain amount released all the time to meet legal requirements, is that wrong?

greg
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006   #10

Loveland, Colorado
Hi GH,
I think you are referring to the IGA. If not, you might be talking about instream flows. In many cases around our state, there is a decreed instream flow on certain river sections. However, there is not an instream flow below Pueblo Dam.

That is one of the reasons the municipalities signed the IGA you hear so much about in the paper: the "intergovernmental agreement." The IGA allows Colorado Springs, Pueblo and Aurora to make exchanges during the week as well as allowing for water to run through Pueblo and the kayak park through the weekend. This IGA applies to spring and fall, when flows are low. In the summer, there is enough water in the Arkansas for the exchanges and for flows through the kayak park.

So, even though Reclamation is not a signatory on the IGA--we weren't involved in that--the State Engineer's Office oversees that operation and calls us when there needs to be more water in the river below Pueblo Dam.

I hope that answers your question. Sometimes, I think my responses generate more questions than answers.

Best,
Kara
Bureau of Reclamation
klamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark