Proving Grounds - NSV - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-26-2008   #1

The 3 Zero 3, Colorado
Proving Grounds - NSV

Looking for beta on this run? Wood report? Walking options? A few of us are looking to Open Boat this run, uncertain if a 10' canoe can make it through?

thanks

C_Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008   #2

Golden, Colorado
Two significant drops that both can be walked but the first requires a little climbing that your open boat might be tough. I wouldn't go in there with less than 320 to 350 cfs though as it's very boney below that.

The character of the run is rock garden/maze with some pretty narrow slots. There's one river wide log mandatory portage that's easily seen on river, portage either left or right bank. Have fun Man!
Old 06-27-2008   #3

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
After running it @ 270 last night, I 2nd Tboner's min. flows. I've done it at 270 before and 380, but I had forgotten my book w/notes yesterday and didn't remember flows from previous runs. 380 was really fun and not any more difficult with the features taking on some personality. 270 is bump and grind.

PS - the tree is no big deal. There's no sneaks around it, but there's not snagglely branches if you were to miss the 5 bright yellow, obnoxious signs and blunder into it -- you'd just flip, drag on the bottom, and roll up on the other side (not that I would recommend that approach). BTW, it's clear that the tree was cut on purpose to have a bridge across the river -- not sure how I feel about that. It's large, 24"-30" diameter, if anyone knows any ambitious beavers. I guess they tried to make it safe by removing branches and installing signs...I don't know, I guess I'd just leave it and call it a chance to stretch your legs.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzle View Post
After running it @ 270 last night, I 2nd Tboner's min. flows. I've done it at 270 before and 380, but I had forgotten my book w/notes yesterday and didn't remember flows from previous runs. 380 was really fun and not any more difficult with the features taking on some personality. 270 is bump and grind.

PS - the tree is no big deal. There's no sneaks around it, but there's not snagglely branches if you were to miss the 5 bright yellow, obnoxious signs and blunder into it -- you'd just flip, drag on the bottom, and roll up on the other side (not that I would recommend that approach). BTW, it's clear that the tree was cut on purpose to have a bridge across the river -- not sure how I feel about that. It's large, 24"-30" diameter, if anyone knows any ambitious beavers. I guess they tried to make it safe by removing branches and installing signs...I don't know, I guess I'd just leave it and call it a chance to stretch your legs.
Ran it this morning. Flow was about 255. Shizzle's post is spot on.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schizzle View Post
PS - the tree is no big deal. There's no sneaks around it, but there's not snagglely branches if you were to miss the 5 bright yellow, obnoxious signs and blunder into it -- you'd just flip, drag on the bottom, and roll up on the other side (not that I would recommend that approach).
I'd have to agree here. I wasn't in the mood to get out of my boat yesterday, so I ran it upside down. It felt safe, but a little too bumpy to call a great idea.
bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008   #6
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwilkins View Post
It felt safe
Ha, If Brent says somethin feels safe then it probably means it's not a good idea. That dude loves makin out with wood. Big T later?

And I also agree with JHimick who is in agreement with Schizzle who agrees with Tboner about the flows.
Old 06-27-2008   #7

I don't think I would take Brent's advice when it comes to trees in the river...for some reason he likes going under em.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote