Propane Tank Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-27-2007   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Propane Tank Question

I just bought a nice camp stove for overnight trips. It is a 60,000 BTU stove and cranks out some serious flames. Does anyone know how much cook time I can expect from this stove running off a 10 gal portable propane tank. The reason I ask is that I have an upcoming Deso (I know Deso in July is hot as a mofo), I just trying to figure if a 10 gal tank will support 6 nights of meals from this stove. Or do I need to carry two tanks? Does anyone have a similar stove and knows about how long these guys last? Any help would be sweet.

Thanks, Dan

DanRauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007   #2

I wish I could be more precise, but I use 10 gallons of propane for an entire season, approximatly 14-20 nights of camping and there is usually a couple gallons left over.

I will say that went on one San Juan trip (six day) where the 10 gallon's threads were destroyed by an over exuberant rookie (righty tighty, lefty loosey, except for propane rookie!). Luckily another member of our party brought a back-up 5 gallon tank. We never ran out but we tried to use the fire-pan as much as possible. After that, I always try to bring a second tank along.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #3

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Propane for blaster

I have the same set up. Camp Chef blaster 60,000 btw with a 10 gallon tank. I think you will be fine for six days. I just used mine on a three day weekend. I used if for coffee/tea water,cleaning dutch ovens, and boiling dish water. Not to mention we used it for grilling with the grill top as well. My tank is also hooked up to a two burner coleman to boot. After that weekend the propane was a little over half full. As long as you don't have to fill up any hot air balloons and mangage that flame you should be good.

Scott
scottd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2007   #4

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
btu content of propane gas is about 91,500 btu/gal.

91,500 btu/gal x 10 gal = 915,000 btu.

you can burn your stove for 915,000 btu / 60,000 btu/h = 15.25 hrs.

since you probably can't fill the tank completely nor can you burn every last drop, you won't see 15 hrs, maybe 85% = 13 hrs.

should definitely be enough for 6 nights.
Bryan Houle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #5

Sounds like you bought a Blaster? Because I don't think that a standard Partner stove cranks 60,000 btus. I have used Blasters for hot-water only (not cooking b/c their too f-ing hot) many times on GC trips etc. If your 10 gal is dedicated to the Blaster for hot water only then you'll be fine. If you are gonna use that 1o gal with both the blaster and kitchen stove then you might wanna carry a small back-up. Bottom line is though for a short Deso trip you should be fine in either case.
RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks guys. From the responses so far I should be fine with the volume of gas in a 10 gal tank. Of course leave it up to an engineer to know the exact btu content of one gallon of propane, thats awesome. But as "farp" stated, it should be cool unless I have a mechanical failure such as a bad valve or fitting. I probably should take two 5 gal tanks instead of one 10 gal, since I will be in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks for the help, see you on the river.
Old 06-27-2007   #7
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Dan,
I have 2 10gal tanks, 1 5gal and 1 1.5gal. If you need any of them, let me know.

Wrist surgery went well on monday. Broken scafoid (navicular). 1 pin and a bone graft. I'll be in a cast for 9 to 12 weeks and then in a splint for 6 weeks more. I can get out on the water in mid to late july as a passanger only.

BP
Old 06-27-2007   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
Dan,
I have 2 10gal tanks, 1 5gal and 1 1.5gal. If you need any of them, let me know.

Wrist surgery went well on monday. Broken scafoid (navicular). 1 pin and a bone graft. I'll be in a cast for 9 to 12 weeks and then in a splint for 6 weeks more. I can get out on the water in mid to late july as a passanger only.

BP
That's great you got it fixed, injuries suck. You are welcome to ride on my cat anytime man! At least you still have on good hand to hold your beer. I'll hook you up with the light! I may take you up on the tank offer, we'll be in touch.
Old 06-27-2007   #9
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Dammit Dan if you dont know how much propane your gonna need to feed me then I'm afraid were just gonna have to let you go. I cant be havin no rook in the kitchen. How am I going to get my special dietary needs met if you dont even know much fuel your gonna need? Guess were gonna have to replace you with a commercial guide instead.

Oh well, maybe we can dig up a Lodore permit for you to take off the training wheels instead. Best to just stay home and babysit Moondog anyway.

Did you get the latest email from the Hebrew Hammer?
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Blowtorch, I'm not sure there is enough propane in the world to cook for two 7 foot, 300 pound twins. Not to mention Hofer, who shits more than he eats, which makes no sense at all. The only thing I got on my side is that you fags are bringing your girlfriends, they probably won't eat or shit.