Propane outboard - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-14-2012   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Propane outboard

Kinda excited about this one...

LEHR - Environmentally Friendly Technology

http://golehr.com/docs/specs/specs_2.5.pdf

2.5 hp or 5 hp for a raft? No gas - same fuel as our cook stove - only problem is you can't refill your propane bottle with solar panels!

hainess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012   #2

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
Bottom line

How much?
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #3

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Dealers in CO?
yesimapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012   #4

Heltown, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
Why not use a conversion kit? It is not new science, many companies produce the necessary kits to convert most kinds of gas motors to propane. If you are the man with carburetors, you can probably do it in 2 hours or less. It has to be a cheaper route than a new motor. I do believe they are only for 4 stroke motors though.
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #5
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I've looked into these and they are priced about the same as 4 strokes of similar size and HP. Right now they make a 2hp short shaft and a 5HP long or short shaft. There are some videos etc. at the LEHR website.
BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #6

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
Why not use a conversion kit? It is not new science, many companies produce the necessary kits to convert most kinds of gas motors to propane. If you are the man with carburetors, you can probably do it in 2 hours or less. It has to be a cheaper route than a new motor. I do believe they are only for 4 stroke motors though.
Yeah, you can't premix oil with propane.
You might be able to use a newer oil-injected 2-stroke, but who wants to smell a 2-stroke on a river trip?!

Newer 4-stroke motors aren't cheap, either, but they burn really clean, and they're becoming common enough that they're coming down in price. You need a propane regulator that turns liquid propane into propane gas, and you need a mixer that takes the place of the carbueretor and mixes air with the propane gas.

Most propane "fuel" tanks have a dip tube and draw liquid propane off the bottom of the tank. If you ran it off a barbecue tank, I'm not sure if you'd pull it so fast that the tank would freeze up. With the relatively small amount of fuel used by a 2-5hp engine, it's possible you might be able to run a 20lb BBQ tank and gaseous propane and skip the regulator. Without the regulator, you'd want some sort of solenoid valve that would shut off the flow of propane if the engine died--both to save fuel and prevent pollution, and to also minimize the risk of a KABOOM!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
2 stroke conversion

I converted some 2 stroke engines in the Phillipines to burn butane. Same basic thing. The kits were from India and were about $100. Uses a small oil injector pump and a tank of two stroke oil. 4 strokes would be the same regulator set up as converting a car ( I've done a bunch of these). US kits are about $400 but can probably find cheaper stuff in India or somewhere. Anybody serious about this and I can walk you through the process
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #8

Heltown, Montana
Paddling Since: 1993
All 4runners concerns are addressed in the kits. They are about $200 and available for most enginges from many suppliers. Some require drilling of the fuel port on the carburetor and some don't. The nuts and bolts list is 1)High pressure propane hose assembly 2)Regulator 3)Fuel supply line and 4) Intake adapter. That's pretty much it with a few odds and ends fittings. Not really practical in this setting but most of these conversions will allow for the use of natural gas as well.
Billy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #9

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I didn't realize that kits were available for outboard applications--very cool! I'm more familiar with automotive applications.
Do these kits use BBQ tanks (gas) or forklift tanks (liquid)?

It would be very nice to have the dual-use convenience of a BBQ tank.
(You can't connect a forklift tank to a BBQ--the regulator isn't designed to vaporize liquid propane.)
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012   #10

Hi,

I actually converted a pickup truck to propane years ago. As a dual fuel vehicle it was pretty neat -- flip a switch under the dash and you had your choice of fuels. But the large crossways mounted propane tank took up about 1/5 of the bed in order to get range equivalent to what was in my gas tank.

And that -- I think -- is the downside here. For short journeys and specialized uses, this might be something to pursue. But propane has a great deal less BTU content than gasoline, and storage in heavy cylindrical tanks is a downer. The result is that to get equivalency in fuel range for a long trip, you would have to carry a rather large number of propane bottles.

I'm sort of in the "the new four strokes are sufficiently quiet, non-smelly, and efficient to do the job" camp.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote