Problems with Carlisle customer service? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2006   #1
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Problems with Carlisle customer service?

What should we expect of our gear manufacturers?
I have three 8" carslile blades on Cataract shafts that I bought in November 2002 as part of an NRS package.
All 3 now have the same cracks around the end of the metal center shaft. One has only been used as a spare hanging on the side of the boat and still has the sticker gum on it.

Jessica at Carlisle customer service said to contact my retailer.
Matt at NRS customer service said they will give me half credit for them ($75) in store credit.
This seems to mean that 1. they know there is a problem with the product and 2. they are willing to take a small loss to keep me as a customer.

We all know the beating that commercial oars (almost always Carlisles) take and how long they last.
Mine have 50-75 days of class 2 (mostly Durango town run) on them.

So my question is
Should Carlisle replace them even though they are three and a half years out of warranty or should I just quit my bitching and buy a set of Cataract blades?

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Your problem is that you let Murphy touch those oars. That bastard sees more cracks than a Nudist wheelbarrow race. Keep your oars away from Murph and you should be able to go 10 years.

Personally, I think their plastic becomes brittle in the sun over the years. The longer you have them, the more fragile they become.

Has your wife put the pink curtains in your RV yet?
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
Warranty

3 1/2 years past warranty, I think you should take the credit from NRS and run.
Stehno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2006   #4
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Damnit Beavis...
I mean Flaco
Murph has never been near those blades
Besides dont you have a new wife to service instead of talking jive on my post
and dont you worry about my RV curtains until you need to use the shitter in there because you ate the pescado tacos from the beach vendors
Old 06-07-2006   #5
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I can't believe you would call a company giving you anything when the product is 3.5 yrs past warranty "a problem"!

I think that's pretty sweet that they're willing to take care of you like that!

can I buy my next creeker from them?!
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006   #6
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
My problem is with Carlisle's product not NRS's service.
NRS seems to have the righteous service policy that takes the heat off of the faulty product manufacturer.
As for Flaco's sun theory. That gear lives in a garage and only sees the sun on the days that it gets used. That is a pretty short lifespan for blades that I would have counted on to get me through the Grand.
Old 06-08-2006   #7
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
NRS made it right
It turns out that Carlisle had a bad run of plastic in 02
NRS gave me full refund store credit
I ordered a set of Cataract blades since they now make a 7"
Old 06-09-2006   #8

Nederland, Colorado
I also got some bad blades and in 02 and my retailer got me new blades. THANKS LISA ( Mountain Quest)
yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Make the change!

Go with Cataracts. Johnson Outdoors, who bought Carlisle, changed the recipe for the plastic in their oars. They get away with a cheaper compound, but sell the oars at the same price. To encourage you to make the change, I recommend you call the Carlisle "customer service" number. If the rudeness and disdain with which you are treated does not convince you to give you business to someone else, then you are a stronger person than I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
What should we expect of our gear manufacturers?
I have three 8" carslile blades on Cataract shafts that I bought in November 2002 as part of an NRS package.
All 3 now have the same cracks around the end of the metal center shaft. One has only been used as a spare hanging on the side of the boat and still has the sticker gum on it.

Jessica at Carlisle customer service said to contact my retailer.
Matt at NRS customer service said they will give me half credit for them ($75) in store credit.
This seems to mean that 1. they know there is a problem with the product and 2. they are willing to take a small loss to keep me as a customer.

We all know the beating that commercial oars (almost always Carlisles) take and how long they last.
Mine have 50-75 days of class 2 (mostly Durango town run) on them.

So my question is
Should Carlisle replace them even though they are three and a half years out of warranty or should I just quit my bitching and buy a set of Cataract blades?
laughing water is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carlisle