Private vs. Commercial boaters - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2011   #1

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Private vs. Commercial boaters

Ok, I know this is probably a sore spot for some of you- but as someone who does both (I raft for both fun and pay- ocassionally they coincide!) I have a question about ettiquete (since it was brought up about kayakers a few days ago).

Correct me if I'm wrong- but isn't it a courtesy for private boaters to not to launch into the middle of a commercial float? Sorta like it not being cool to merge into a funeral procession...I know most try to stay FAR away from commercial trips because commercial trips are annoying to private boaters- but these folks saw us coming and peeled out into our group after the first two boats of our float went by- screwing up our spacing....

And then there's the take out. If I'm on a commercial trip and I have to eddy out my entire float to get us ready to go through the last set of rapids and keep good spacing because above mentioned private group decided to launch into the middle of our trip from their eddy- Then wouldn't I have reason to expect that they'd KNOW to get their boats the hell out of the way of way at the take out and not just stand there blocking it for others? We gave them enough spacing to get through safely- maybe 3 min before we peeled out behind them. At the take out (5 min beyond the last rapid) they literally were stripping off their drytops and de-rigging at the waters edge right as we were coming in. We nearly didn't get a boat in because of them and they had the balls to get mad at me because I asked them if they could "please move their boat so we can bring our boat to shore". They got real pissy with their hands on their hips and all in front of the custies.

Now I know some commercial guides are asses- I don't consider myself one of them. I try not to run people over, block access or lose my temper at people being dumb. But these a-holes just pissed me off to no end. Maybe I underestimate the rancor private boaters feel towards commercial guides- but come on- some of us are pretty damn cool- be nice to us! We're just trying to fund our addiction to the river.

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011   #2

Yes, merging into an obvious commercial trip is bad form.
Old 06-07-2011   #3

Good post. I think we all need a reminder that we need to SHARE. My parents tried to teach me that when I was young. It still applies today. Unfortunately, we seem to have forgotten that.

Our sport has become very popular these days and no, you don't own the river(directed at the jerks). If you can wait your turn or share, maybe you should stay in your yard, at home, in your city.

Cheers, and boat safely
rafterbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011   #4

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think the real question should be why would a private boater want to launch in the middle of a commercial group? Sit back relax, have another ramp beer, and don't deal with the headache of being in the middle of a large group. Done.
JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #5

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
As commercial trips get in the way of private boaters so do private boaters get in the way of commercial trips.
I used to get bent out of shape everytime Buffalo Joes commercial guides would "bump and grind...push and shove me" up on the Ark, after awhile I got over it and realized its the price of doing business on busy water.

Just like the river is dynamic so are the crowds and rubber community, it is what you make it!

If the river was ment for rules and signs, it would look like the interstate with speed limits, merge lanes signs, No U-Turn, Slower Traffic Keep Right etc etc. Don't think you want that.

My rule of thumb is be polite and courtious and considerate of others first and you'll have a great day. Lifes too short to be worried about all this stuff.

Coon
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #6
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ahh, dickheads come in all forms. The cyclist who obstructs traffic on purpose (he's trying to make a point). The entitled skier who hangs out in the blind spot of your favorite kicker (he has a message to tell the world, you know). And finally your fellow throwing a fit on the ramp (he was minding his own business till your commercial flotilla turned him into some sort of worthless misguided crusader).

Point taken. We acknowledge you are a dickhead.

Anyone take pride in how fast they can clear a boat ramp anymore?
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
So here's a question about ettiquette

Commercial outfitter a little cocky as they interrupt your lazy put in. They herd their group past yours and delay your launch by 10-15 mins

Commercial group stops ahead of you doing lunch at nicest spot in river.

Is it ok to moon the commercial outfitter as you pass?
Old 06-07-2011   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Just askin.
Old 06-07-2011   #9
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Mooning is most appropriate when the mooned party is highly offended. In this case you are not going to even raise a guide's eyebrow. Remember they all try to get their guests to moon Amtrak. Basically raft guides just don't care for their guests' sensibilities that much. Now a high-end guided fly fishing outfit on the other hand...
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #10
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
Didn't nearly this EXACT same thread turn into a shitshow flame war last year????