primary stability? Do you value it? What's is good for? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-17-2006   #1

primary stability? Do you value it? What's is good for?

I've always valued it. Gives me comfort and confidence. Good for beginers. I also really like it at the end of a roll to give me the time to figure which way is up. But now I'm considering the possibility that I've over valued it. I'm talking in the context of more advanced creeking and river running. Your thoughts?

vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Keeps you from needing 2ndary stability. THere's a fine line though. B/c too much primary yields no secondary (Sniper for example).

I like some for sure.

Scott
AKA Peaches
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #3

If you plan to be in waves or if you plan to lean, you want secondary stability, not primary stability.

I think primary stability is only good for sleeping in your boat in flat water! It may also be good for putting a floating statue in a pool. You get the idea.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2006   #4

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
This thread must be too techno for me....what the heck is the difference b/w primary and secondary stability and how do you have any idea how good yours is??
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I second what Johnny Water asked.

This is my second season, and I cashed out the old "Dagger Honcho" for a new Liquid Logic CrossRiver. I felt on my first river run a lot more "tippy" than I recall finishing the Honcho in - is that the difference between "primary" and "secondary".

How does the difference between the two come into play when a) River running drops and such and b) surfing a playpark/fluffy feature?
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006   #6
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny water
...what the heck is the difference b/w primary and secondary stability and how do you have any idea how good yours is??
Primary stability is when you're sitting straight up and the hull is flat on the water.

Secondary stability is when you're leaning to the side and bracing.

Both are generally used referring to the boat, not the paddler, and you'll know the difference when you sit in the boat.

I'd say secondary is waaaaay more important for paddling, but I can relate to wanting some primary "at the end of a roll to give me the time to figure which way is up". Other than that, it might just lull you to sleep as you bobb down the river in-between thrashings!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote