Priest Gulch area mid to late July - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2008   #1

Priest Gulch area mid to late July

My family and I will be staying at the Priest Gulch campground for 2 weeks in late July. We are all beginners and will be using sit-on top kayaks. The youngest is my 11 year old son. We are looking for some areas to kayak within a reasonable driving distance from campground. Also, shuttle info would be helpful. Thanks.

lsmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008   #2

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
priest gulch on upper dolores? if so, animas in durango town is about 1 hr 15 min. away.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #3

We rode the train last year and the Animas looked a little wild in places. Are there good beginner stretches? What about shuttles? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008   #4

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
animas in the town of duarango. 32nd st. to 9th st. i would guess there would be someone in town to provide shuttles and/or lessons.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008   #5

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
McPhee reservoir access from the town of Dolores sees a fair amount of ride on top kayakers, though it is obviously flat as a pancake and windy in the afternoons. There is a spot in town called "the beach" across the river from Joe Rowell park (take 4th street across the bridge over the river to the turn off for the beach). You can paddle around to your hearts content. The town run in Dolores, from Riverside Park (12th street) to the beach is tons of fun- good wave trains and fun holes but by July may be just swimming holes. About 30 minutes from Priest Gulch. You don't really even need a shuttle as it is all within walking distance, if you can walk eight or nine blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmcdonald View Post
My family and I will be staying at the Priest Gulch campground for 2 weeks in late July. We are all beginners and will be using sit-on top kayaks. The youngest is my 11 year old son. We are looking for some areas to kayak within a reasonable driving distance from campground. Also, shuttle info would be helpful. Thanks.
doloresgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #6

Heritage Featherlite 9.5

Thanks to all for comments. Since my first post, I've been looking at the Heritage Featherlite 9.5. It's a 9'6" sit-in kayak. Any comments on kayak and how it would be for Class II or III?