Pricing a used inflatable kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-20-2012   #1

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Pricing a used inflatable kayak

Wondering if anyone mag have a good formula for pricing used duckies. I've been in the market for one for sometime however, it seems that even for a several year old boat, folks are asking just a few hundred dollars or less than what a new one costs.
My thoughts are 30% off retail then $100 for every year old. And $50 off for each patch or damaged areas.
Sound reasonable?

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012   #2

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
NRS has some on clearance right now. Might make a good entry boat.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
That's because a good used duckie is in demand and a quality inflatable lasts forever. A thousand dollar boat will bottom out at about $600 after 10 years. Duckies are usually worth buying new.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Pretty much what Randaddy said, except brand new they are pricey.Find one that is a couple years old being sold by an outfitter.I bought a '94 Aire Lynx from BOC at the end of '95 season for $700 still have it ..works great...not all that well cared for and heavily used, yet still good to go.The boat retailed for around $1000 then, so by your formula, I would owe you $1100 before taking into consideration several patches.Done right patches are as strong or stronger then the original..maybe cosmetically unappealing.You will be lucky to find a good used ducky for under $500-$600.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #5

Denver, Colorado
Tomcats are ok.but less durable might be one cheaper, a good value.
Old 10-20-2012   #6

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
Anyone have any experience w the NRS Bandit?

Their light Urethane, so I wonder about tracking and durability. $836 from NRS w five year warranty for Tandem seems like a good price.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I paddled a bandit once and liked it ok.
Old 10-20-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
It is nice that they weigh half what a regular ducky does for carry in (out) runs.Always wondered about the durability, supposedly good.The NRS Maverick is my favorite Hypalon ducky, like PVC /urethane better :glances off. rocks better/easier to repair.Hypalon or other rubberier materials stick more but roll up more compact.
Old 10-20-2012   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Between our family and my sisters family, we have a total of 7 IKs, 2 double lynxs with air floors, 1 double lynx with foam floor, 3 single lynxs (all air floors) and 1 single strike (air floor obviously). We have got these all used and in excellent to very good shape, I give the list below as examples for comparison and all of these were found through craigslist in OR and WA:

lynx II foam floor very good shape that also came with a very spendy AT paddle for $550 several years ago (my main multiday IK boat for larger rivers where horse packing is not involved and generally sub class IV, put a new minicell foam floor in it this year for $120, FYI minicell is way better than the stock foam Aire used originoally, minicell can't ever suck up any water, the minicell cuts/shapes very will with a saws-all with metal hacksaw blade)

lynx II air floor excellent shape came with boat bag, 2 sets thigh straps foot pegs and cheetah chairs for $600 got a few years ago, brothers multiday

lynx II newer style air floor, essentially new $700 got this year, sisters for multiday

two lynx Is with cheetah chairs, and thigh straps from silent auction at a univeristy outdoor program in good shape $327 each (actually we got 3 for this price, kept 2 and had a friend pick 1 up) got this year, used all three of them on the upper Chetco Hell Yes!, and currently using them for work on some river surveys this fall.

mid 1990s lynx I with new cheetah chair, thigh straps, and foot pegs, and a nice 210 older werner paddle for $600 the boat was essentially new and maybe in the water 5 or six times. Before I saw the boat, I was thinking no way I am going to pay $600 for a 1990s lynx, but when I saw it, it was in such new condition, I didn't even haggle (and if you knew me, that would be a rare event), got several years ago, my wifes IK

strike I, pretty much new, with thigh straps and foam foot block $550, got a few years ago, my sisters IK

The point of this post is to illustrate our experience finding good used IKs for good deals, they can be found!, at least we haven't had too much trouble building an IK navy, good luck

ps, I have paddle a fair number of different IKs and think all in all the older style Lynx I is pretty much the best all around IK for anything you can get, if you could only get 1 boat. Handles class IV+ creeking nicely, larger water well, hold a fair amount of gear for self support over nights, hold a pretty heavy load all things considered.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Some of the navy on the upper chetco and NF John Day
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote