Pre-Newbie: How long is the season? (And probably more questions to come) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-11-2009   #1

Pre-Newbie: How long is the season? (And probably more questions to come)

Hello all, just signed up. I've been thinking about kayaking for a while but have hesitated from the fear of taking on yet another expensive hobby. But what else is money good for if not spending anyway? Lack of garage space is a separate issue.

Anyway, I was thinking about taking lessons here shortly at the Golden Rec Center but that means it'll be another month and a half yet before I can really get out since I won't be able to take the lessons that start on the 23rd. How long is the park in Golden boatable? Will this schedule put me too late in the year to really get much wet time in?

Liquidmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2009   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Golden is boatable year round depending on your tolerance for rocks and ice. Same goes for the Colorado and Arkansas Rivers. Start now and you'll be ready for runoff next year.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpowhound View Post
Start now and you'll be ready for runoff next year.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I was hoping this way I'd have the rest of the year to practice with waning (but still boatable and fun) current and be ready for the snowmelt next spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009   #4

auto reply

pick up a cheap used kayak, I have a ws kinetic you could buy.
After you have been scared a couple of times and decide to stick with the sport then spend the real money.
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOWDEN View Post
pick up a cheap used kayak, I have a ws kinetic you could buy.
After you have been scared a couple of times and decide to stick with the sport then spend the real money.
That's exactly what I've been planning on. I've been checking the classifieds here and Craigslist to get a feel for what the used boat market it like. Seems like there's a lot of stuff out there and a lot that's not that expensive at all. Guess I have to watch out for accessory cost creep.

PM sent.