Poudre Upper Rustic for an beginner? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-26-2010   #1

Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
Poudre Upper Rustic for an beginner?

My brother and I were looking to run the Upper Rustic this Saturday. We rented a dual Ducky and wetsuites. The river is up and I am having second thoughts. Has anyone run this stretch recently? Are we biting off more than we can chew? We are in good shape and have rafted before. We have both done some rough water ocean kayaking.

ArizonaAmature is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Run Filter Plant. Is this somebody messing with us? This is the second post like this in two days. Do more homework and start out on an easier run. Please don't go out there on your own and get hurt. If you are for real, I am sorry. That run is more than you can handle if you have no experience. Please be careful out there!
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Might be a little much and there is a lot of private property if things don't go well. Start with filter plant and bridges. If you do well there, try putting in below the white mile on Rustic. Upper Rustic with beginners about 10 years ago is where I first met some of my current paddling partners as we got to know each other well while gathering everyone's gear along the run. I think it was something like 4 out of 6 flips in the first turn of the white mile. Just me and one other made it upright.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2010   #4

Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
We will hit the filter run

Afternoon, I am for real and I am going to take the advice. We will hone our skills at class II. No interst in flipping or proving anything. We just want a fun run with a little excitment. FYI, I am doing my homework, part of that is asking local experts for honest feedback. Thanks guys!
ArizonaAmature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #5

Erie, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
CRC2 underminds upper rustic. I agree with the above people to run filter plant first and if that is super boring try lower mish.
CUBuffskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010   #6

I have seen plenty of carnage for beginners, and even intermediates on Rustic. Even though there are no major rapids, it is very cold, very continuous, and at this level has a bunch of rocks to throw you off.

You would be begging for an epic.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #7

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by festivus View Post
I have seen plenty of carnage for beginners, and even intermediates on Rustic. Even though there are no major rapids, it is very cold, very continuous, and at this level has a bunch of rocks to throw you off.

You would be begging for an epic.

I agree definitely not a beginners run. At levels below 3 feet its too low IMO and above 3.5 its very continuous, id call it 3+. There are also often strainers on the run.
afox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Especially the white mile (well... 1/4 mile). Swims here by experienced boaters rarely go well. Above 3 feet is low in my opinion. 3.5 + game on.

Stay of Filter Plant with the ducky. Bridges at low water.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010   #9

Cody, Wyoming
don't go overboard

bridges could be a bit much, even if you clean filter plant with no problems. i would consider lower mish the next step up the poudre ladder from filter plant, but the rung is pretty big for a beginner. if you do decide to try lower mish, make sure to stay left at sh!t house hole. there is another rapid that dumped a friend out of a culebra last year and laid a pretty good lick on him, but i forget the name (it is immediately upstream of a non-campground picnic area). finally, make damn sure you know the take out spot or you will be in way over your head on poudre park and pine view.

even lower mish at 3.5 has some pretty stout stuff for a beginner, and given the likelihood of a flip/dump in a ducky with non-precise control you should use caution. laps on filter plant would seem to be your safest option while trying multiple more difficult lines through foaming chihuahua, and then go up to lower mish to watch the commercials run every rapid to see what you think. lots of beginners that i took on filter plant thought it was easy and that they were ready, but they proceeded to get spanked on lower mish. later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowman View Post
bridges could be a bit much, even if you clean filter plant with no problems. i would consider lower mish the next step up the poudre ladder from filter plant, but the rung is pretty big for a beginner. if you do decide to try lower mish, make sure to stay left at sh!t house hole. there is another rapid that dumped a friend out of a culebra last year and laid a pretty good lick on him, but i forget the name (it is immediately upstream of a non-campground picnic area). finally, make damn sure you know the take out spot or you will be in way over your head on poudre park and pine view.
PB, I think you're talking about Ouzel, which has a nice tongue ride to an often hidden flip rock on the right side with a fair rock slalom below it.

My suggestion if you haven't run the Poudre is start at Filter Plant and hook up with a group who knows the river. Your first clue is that they are wearing PFD's and helmets and not running anything made of vinyl. Ask nicely to run between two of their boats. FP is running very well for this time of year so that will let you practice your skills without getting into too much technical stuff. If you find that need more practice, do another lap! Lower Mish and Bridges can be challenging in a ducky even with an experienced crew.

Life jackets, wetsuits, booties, helmets. Don't even think about doing it without support. Trust me on this - if you get in trouble, I get a page
rivrrunr is offline   Reply With Quote