Poudre River!! WTF! - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2008   #1

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Poudre River!! WTF!

It has jumped over 3' this week! Holy hell! Where is the water coming from? As most of the river is damn controlled is this lower elevation run off or are they releasing from one of the reservoirs? I guess what I am wondering is if this is a temporary spike as the reservoirs prepare for the BIG runoff or is this a sign of what is to come....

Either way it appears that it is time to go get some while the getting it good!! See you all out there, be safe and keep an eye out for floating trees.

Tele

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by teletumbler View Post
It has jumped over 3' this week! Holy hell! Where is the water coming from? As most of the river is damn controlled is this lower elevation run off or are they releasing from one of the reservoirs? I guess what I am wondering is if this is a temporary spike as the reservoirs prepare for the BIG runoff or is this a sign of what is to come....

Either way it appears that it is time to go get some while the getting it good!! See you all out there, be safe and keep an eye out for floating trees.

Tele

Uh, snow's meltin' dude!
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #3

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yeh monday we paddled at 1.5, tuesday it was at 2.5 yesterday it was at 3.8....If it keeps going at this rate we will be able to paddle up to the bar at the mish and order a drink!!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008   #4

Aurora, Colorado
Yay!

Unfortunately, rumor says it's going to get a little colder and slow down the increase. I'm still willing to bet it will be around 4' this weekend, but that might just be wishful thinking.

Kim
Old 05-22-2008   #5

I love her sooo much!

Isn't she Glorious?
PRKCJamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #6

poudre is dammed up high, but not damn controlled.
bula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #7

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
If you want to get on Big South from long Draw, or Joe Wright, you have to wait until the dam's let out water to run them. I would say its dam controlled

She is cute, specially in that purple bed. Kim go run upper Mich for me at 4ft. Pleazzzzzz
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #8

Aurora, Colorado
What???

Josh, you're a freak! I think the best I can do for you is lower mish or I'd be screaming like that whistle blower on the other post. Nobody wants that. Besides, no rancher ladies to rescue me. Sorry. I couldn't help it.
Have a great weekend and I'll see ya' next weekend?

Kim
Old 05-22-2008   #9

Paddling Since: 1993
Long Draw sits on weird creek, a small tributary to the main stem which flows out of the north side of rocky mountain national park. Joe Wright is another smaller tributary and usually just spills. Dam controlled definitively not, in fact its the only wild and scenic river designation in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_kayak365 View Post
If you want to get on Big South from long Draw, or Joe Wright, you have to wait until the dam's let out water to run them. I would say its dam controlled

She is cute, specially in that purple bed. Kim go run upper Mich for me at 4ft. Pleazzzzzz
mrekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #10

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Flows out of Long Draw, Joe Wright, and Chambers Lake reservoirs are controlled by dams but there is a lot of snow downstream of those reservoirs which results in a natural spring melt flow. Also there is Comanche reservoir on the south fork of the poudre which enters the main stem in the lower rustic run and 2 reservoirs on the north fork of the poudre (Halligan and Semen) which enter the main stem in between bridges and filter plant. Later in the summer when all of the snow has melted the bulk of the flow in the poudre will come from the reservoirs.

The poudre drainage is also fed by at least 3 "ditches" (Grand ditch, Michigan ditch, and laramie poudre tunnel) which divert water bound from the western slope to the front range. So Im not sure why it gets the "Wild and Scenic" designation.
afox is offline   Reply With Quote