Poudre River: High water can be dangerous
Here's my posting to balance out some of the high water euphoria. Yes, the Poudre is very high, and it's lots of fun, but only if you're ready. I noticed more than a few people out of their boats last weekend. That can be very hazardous unless you have strong rescuers.
Here are a few tips in case you're not an advanced boater:
- Remember the run you did last year (or last week) is at least a class harder at this level.
- Try an easier run if you don't think you're quite ready for the harder water, and see how it goes.
- Join up with a few boaters, it's not a good time to be out alone or even with a single rescuer.
- Make sure people get rescued first, then go after gear. Equipment can be replaced.
- High water means bring all your safety gear. If you have a tow system, make sure you know how to use it and make sure it will release.
I don't mean to dampen the spirit of any of you brash young paddlers, so please no irresponsible flames. If you know what you're about, go have fun!