Poudre question - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2008   #1

Poudre question

Hi all, I am having trouble understanding the levels at the Poudre.

Plan to be there either Thursday or Sunday and wonder what the level is.

Runnable? High? low? big spring runoff?

We will be driving from Missouri to Salida and will stop at the Poudre either Thursday on the way out or Sunday on the way back.

Thanks for any guidance.

Chris Kelly

ChrisKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Poudre is low right now. Some sections are 'runnable' but not ideal. I expect things to pick up pretty well this week. Should be ok by the weekend.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Use the calculator at poudrerockreport.com and enter the flow from eddyflower.com (found on this site under "flows"). 1-2' is runnable but considered low water, 2-4' is medium and what the Poudre usually runs June through August. I doubt it will get much above 2 feet by the weekend, but if it's close to that you can run pretty much anything Narrows through Bridges Take Out. If you're on a road trip, I wouldn't come all the way to Fort Collins from Salida unless you see at least 350 CFS/2 feet. The Ark should be great next weekend, 2,000 is an awesome level!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2008   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
actually the gauge at poudre canyon mouth is pretty meaningless. A friend who was up there today said they were diverting, so that gauge isnt showing the real flow. The pineview rock was at 1.1 and rising. My bet is that it will probably jump significantly in the next few days since its going to be 90 degrees. For the most accurate reports of levels on the poudre, visit: Poudre Rock Report | Kayak flows for the Poudre River
jballen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to colopaddler
Poudre flows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKelly View Post
Hi all, I am having trouble understanding the levels at the Poudre.

Plan to be there either Thursday or Sunday and wonder what the level is.

Runnable? High? low? big spring runoff?

We will be driving from Missouri to Salida and will stop at the Poudre either Thursday on the way out or Sunday on the way back.

Thanks for any guidance.

Chris Kelly
Howdy, I will be boating the Poudre every day this week and weekend. You can give me a call at 970-988-2494 and i can tell you what the flow is..in fact if you call me the evening or early morning ahead of time, i will paddle with you. Cheers, Scotty
colopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The gauge says 205 CFS right now and that would be consistent with rising from 1.1. I don't think they are diverting right now. Anyone know? The flow from eddyflower has matched the rock pretty well lately.

Chris, jballen has a point, the flow isn't usually the accurate level and you should check the rock report. You can learn the flow by using the calculator.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008   #7

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballen1 View Post
actually the gauge at poudre canyon mouth is pretty meaningless. A friend who was up there today said they were diverting, so that gauge isnt showing the real flow. The pineview rock was at 1.1 and rising. My bet is that it will probably jump significantly in the next few days since its going to be 90 degrees. For the most accurate reports of levels on the poudre, visit: Poudre Rock Report | Kayak flows for the Poudre River
I second this. Poudre is rising and should be a lot higher by the weekend.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #8

Thanks all, I appreciate the help.

n/t
ChrisKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
Actual flows for the poudre are posted on the rock report site daily. That, plus checking posts on the buzz, are your best bet for accurate flows for all sections of the poudre. This is especially true as water demands for farming increases. You can subscribe to the flows via email or text message here, or just check the site for the latest gauge readings: Poudre Rock Report | Kayak flows for the Poudre River

Yesterday flows were .8ft in the morning and rose to 1.1 by 5pm. Also, it looks like water authorities diverted water for about an hour at noon yesterday. And as of today they are diverting roughly 130cfs:

Suspect that all lower Poudre sections should be low but good to go by Wednesday or Thursday, and could be decent by the weekend. Until then, the Upper and Lower Narrows sections are low and runnable at current flows, and the middle narrows should be coming in later today or tomorrow. The river should start rising fast now. It's about to get exciting...
frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #10

Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
To add to Frenchy's comments, it did not freeze at 10K feet last night - a reliable indicator that things are about to go off - we could well have 2ft by Thursday and near 3ft by Sunday if we get this weather all week.

If you want some creeky action in the Narrows, Thursday would be better, if you want other sections or the Narrows with some zing, Sunday would be better.

Marty
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote