poudre is open again - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-30-2012   #1

Denver,, exhaustion
poudre is open again

read it today. they opened the river at noon today.

enough said.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012   #2

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Put-ins are kinda limited now. I was talking to the ranger and he said they plan on opening some of those day use areas Monday. The water was gin clear today. Total solitude for while i was out. Not much traffic.Quite nice. It starts to darken up at killer bridge. There was some sort of small blowout/debris fan above the bridge but nothing new to worry about. It's a pretty crazy sight in places. Entire hillsides scorched bare.

Level was 1.8
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #3

Denver,, exhaustion
how is the lower narrows put in and stevens?
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012   #4

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
I didn't make it up that far. Was scrapin up some pieces from friends' homes for quite awhile. I thought he said it was still taped off. I made it up as far as above hewletts bridge. Poudre park pullout(docs drop) was taped off still. They'll probably remove it soon. A lot of those places need to be cleaned first. The shit has sat in those toilets for three,hot,smoky weeks....pooey smells. Watch for rubberneckers and avoid any closures,esp to roads where people lost homes. Rocks will be fallin too.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012   #5

Mad Scientist/Creeker
Flows dropped at Long Draw today meaning the lower canyon will drop off tomorrow. Probably be around 1ft is my guess. Pretty amazing they've got the canyon open already and we ay get some boating in yet. Pray for more Long Draw releases and send support and love to the victims trying to piece their lives back together.
Old 07-01-2012   #6

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by adgeiser View Post

read it today. they opened the river at noon today.

enough said.
Yes yes yes!
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Rock at 1.2

The rock was at 1.2 (or less) when I drove by this afternoon. Filter Plant run has next to no water. Lots of rafts out today - good to see the local outfitters busy.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #8

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
unless you're running the narrows, it's way too low to boat unless you wanna get out and check out the scars. like z said, 1.2 on the rock. lots of guide boats out, most of them full. folks still putting up power poles, a couple of fire trucks, and quite a few sight seers.....lot of scorched and torched ridges out there, but there's also a lot of untouched canyon up there.
Old 07-01-2012   #9

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Pretty badon both sides

Wife daughter and I drove up the canyon today all the way to Rustic. Very little access until above the narrows. Both banks burned from Teds Place to above the narrows and then only river right charcoaled up to about Mountain Park. Most of Poudre Park is standing as is the Mish,,yeah!! Almost every camping and picnic spot is intact but burned right up to the perimeter. Sad trip but I did a couple laps of Grandpas Gorge while the dog swam around. Get up there and buy something to help those poor businesses. Mish opens on the fourth of July!
Talked to Ranger Rob, he says that 2200 homes were in the path and could have been destroyed but the firefighters saved almost 90% of them. Great job and a very close call.
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012   #10

student
Just wanted to remind people to be heads up in there. There wasn't any new wood in play that I saw, but in the next year we are sure to see some. I was just driving by but I saw one newly downed tree (completely out of the way) in middles. I am optomistic that the canyon will recover quicker than I had originally feared. The firefighters did an amazing job in there.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote