Poudre in a 14' Boat Tomorrow (Sunday) - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2010   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Poudre in a 14' Boat Tomorrow (Sunday)

Hey all! I would love to break out the raft tomorrow for a trip down the Poudre , but would love another boat to go down with, as I'm entirely unfamiliar with this river! I've been a guide on small technical rivers and big rivers before, so my boat handling is ok (could always be better) and I'm squared away on equipment. Anyone in? What levels do you all consider runnable in a 14'? I'm not certain what section to run either. Any help would be great. Thanks, bear

Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010   #2

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
last time I checked the rock was at about 2.5 which means keep the raft in the shed. Bridges section would be about the only thing worth running. You could do stevens down but it would be bumpy. Just my opinion, I am sure someone will get on here and say they raft it at a foot and 2.5 is still awesome.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I ran Stevens Gulch down to Bridges Take Out twice today in a 14. It was great fun. You'll get stuck from time to time, but no biggie. Also saw a 14 cat with an oar frame and two other frame rafts. Get out there. Should be above 3 tommorow; roughly 2.8 today. Watch out for Claire though.....And ranger Robert is out in force so be prepared and be nice.

Rafts can take it. "Leave it in the shed?" Sheeeit. And I did run it at two and it was also fine. Did you buy your raft to baby it?
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010   #4

nomad, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
It was not 2.8 today. No need to fudge numbers here. It was low and tomorrow it will not be. That is it. Kevin is a penis and trys to keep it in the shed all the time. cereal. Mountain crash, bring it out, there will be tons of people putting in all morning at Stevens. You could find some buddies real easy.
jhalseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I was just fudging numbers to look cool. Pretty subjective little painted numbers up there bro.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
On Friday night the rock was just below two. We ran the lower Mishawaka on Saturday and it was pretty rocky. He who shall not be named and I both ended up swimming in the hole. That river owes me a seat bracket and some hardware. That hole also tried to take my paddle, but fortunately it came free and was recovered.
goofy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #7

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
One thing I can say about flipping a large oar rig on the Poudre is that it is going to cost you some money in seat bracket, possibly oar rights, and possibly an oar or two in my experience . Another thing I can say about floating the Poudre in an oar rig is there just isn't another river around as fun and challenging. Just my opinion.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #8

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thank you all for the feedback. My group size experienced attrition, originally 10 with 2 boats and a kayak, down to 2 people in my boat and a dog, so the paddling plan went out the window. I frantically called around to find a frame and some oars, but was mostly out of luck. Fortunately someone from Wanderlust returned my message (really cool) and suggested a few places that would rent me a frame. I dropped into Mountain Whitewater Descents and rented a stern frame and some oars and got some beta. I'm super appreciative for them renting me a frame and giving me some info!

We put in at the day-use area 1/2 a mile or so below Stevens around 15:00 and ended-up pulling out at the Bridges take-out three or four hours later, planning on hitching a ride back to the truck. There was a good man there with another 14' boat that offered to give us a ride back up, including my boat stacked on top of his on the trailer! Wow! I've never been able to hitch effectively with a raft before! Perfect!

The run was great.... mildly boney in some sections, but nothing like some of the super-low stuff I've encountered in the past (Brown's at 535cfs, thankfully a company boat and not mine.) Thanks again for the replies! Anyone up for a run tomorrow!?
Old 05-24-2010   #9

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Wow,MWD rented you a frame? Didn't know they did(or would do) that. Was your shuttle in a Ford Super-Duty?

Yeah,she's a bony,bad-ass lil river thats getting more popular every year.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #10

nomad, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Mountain Crash,
Its only going to get better for the next several weeks. The river takes on another personality at higher flows. And it becomes much more oar friendly. Send me a PM sometime and we can row it with a big crew.
jhalseth is offline   Reply With Quote