Poudre Flow - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-11-2006   #1

Poudre Flow

Rookie Q I know but whats with the low flow and high variability as of late on the Poudre? It it typical this time of year or after a lengthy rain?

PSLICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006   #2

Word is that after the rain farmers are not demanding as much water, thus to conserve flows for later in the season the dams have been shut off. If the weather continues as is, dams should start release again as soon as friday.
rabiddan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #3

Actually the reason is two fold. First, there isn' t much water left. Second it is because of the full moon. Just like the tides the moon effects water in the reserviors. During the full moon, releasing water can cause the dam stress that over the years will cause fatigue and eventually require repair. This is why they commonly cut water levels around a full moon. Kara will agree with me on this one.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006   #4

from what I have recently seen and heard all the resevoirs are pretty full for this time of year given the early runoff. Friday i've heard is the day, however the tunnel inflow is done for the season so if the releases return it should be prerain levels minus about 50 cfs for the tunnel. Heres to hoping for a couple more weeks around 2.5 and not this 1.4 [email protected]#$%
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Has anyone been up there today? I was thinking bridges today, but I'm not sure if there's enough water to scrape down it.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #6

Yes, you'll have enough water to get down P-view/bridges. Long as it didn't drop much from yesterday.
El quapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #7

Under what theory does the moon's gravational effect change with its phases???? [/quote]
WAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Thanks quapo
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #9

What was that PSU? Just some random, shameless, pointless plug? I don't get it?

Waver: I believe that Einstein's General Theory of Relativity would give some explanation to the moon's varying phase-gravitational pull in its description of the gravitational tendencies of planetary bodies and the "fabric" of the universe. Though I know these effects are not noticeable at the Earth's distance from a relatively small body such as the moon, I'm not sure whether we have the technology/instruments to measure these differences or not.

COUNT

P.S. Yes I did see the rolling eyes smiley face, but I just couldn't help it. Besides, maybe someone else actually is interested. Anyone want to chime in on the astrophysics thread?
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #10

Thanks COUNT for setting me straight, I didn't realize the mass of the moon increased as it became full and its effect on dams during releases (part 2 of farb's reasons)

Truly, I could care less, I'm just killing time before leaving for the put in.
WAVER is offline   Reply With Quote