Poudre clean up sweeps - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-14-2008   #1

golden
Poudre clean up sweeps

What a f'in shit show on the poudre on Sunday. OK, I understand that you commersh raft guides have horrible custy paddlers. Maybe it is because there are a lot of rookies out there, or maybe you forgot the lower water lines. Hot damn, there were so many stuck/ flipped boats/ swimmers from the raft companies this past weekend I am suprized no one was really hurt.

I should of known that on Sunday in July everyone and there mother-in-law would be up the poudre.

Although, it was fun getting those scared wet cats out of the water.

Oh yea, the guy who abandon his kayak floating down the river while he got a ride to his car still puzzles me.

Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Miker,

Wow. You have a lot of nerve saying something like that. Yeah, as the water drops there is some carnage. Yeah, the rookies are still learning the low water lines. But who are you to call the commercial guides on the Poudre a "sh*t show?" Do you guide on the Poudre? It's a tricky river to run commercially and we all work hard to help the new guides learn the lines. I've worked on a lot of different rivers, several with high swimmer counts on a daily basis.

I am not surprised that nobody was hurt. The trip leaders working for the "5 families" are all solid, safe river professionals. The Poudre is a competitive place to guide and there are MANY talented, experienced, and SAFE guides working on it.

Maybe you should give it a try before you tell people what they are doing wrong.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #3

golden
Calm down. I was not calling any guide a shit show. A chaotic event=shit show. Urban Dictionary: shit show A trip leader can not control everything. I am not saying it isn't hard to guide on the poudre. I could not guide a boat clean down the poudre with 4 300 pounders whom do not paddle.

After last weekend I am sure there are a couple of folks who never want to go rafting again.

It really was a unusually high level of carnage during our run from Upper - BTO.

We tried to help out when we could.

Family shmamily. The families hate eachother.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008   #4

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
spectator sport

Hey Mike,
Sounds like a good time, wish I was there.... How is the Disertation coming along. When are you guys moving? Give me a call when you get a chance.
grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Miker,

I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for helping with the carnage. We like to help private boaters, expecially in an emergency, and I'm glad there are people out there returning the favor. The Poudre is really great for this; I know I'm not the onlt one with my PFD and rope in the passenger seat when I drive up that canyon.

Sorry if I seemed harsh, it's just hard to see criticism from someone who isn't involved. I guess it's the same as someone criticizing a professional athlete when they couldn't do any better (like when I say Brett Farve is an old man who couldn't run from a tiger!); it is your right, and it shouldn't bother us...

As for the 5 companies hating eachother? I'm not sure where you get this. I hung out with people from every company over the weekend. Of course it can be a little clicky, but pop in to the Trailhead on a Tuesday and tell me that everyone hates eachother!
Old 07-14-2008   #6

golden
Oh come on...so you think Brad, Breck, Pat and Dave all go get a beer together like old pals? Like nice fun loving hippies? More like a bunch of old tigers ready to eat the weakest link.

I hear they hold each others lost paddles for ransom.

At the Trailhead you do not ras someone for creating a "free swim" on the poudre? Can only fellow guides (brett farvra's of the world) have all of the fun?
Old 07-16-2008   #7

Poudre Current flows

I ran the poudre about 4 weeks ago with 6 people in a 16 ft raft, it was our first time on the poudre. It looks like the flow is down to about 1/2 what is was last time we ran it. We need upper, lowers, and the park. How is currently moving?
mfavro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
But who are you to call the commercial guides on the Poudre a "sh*t show?" Do you guide on the Poudre? It's a tricky river to run commercially and we all work hard to help the new guides learn the lines.
Just for the record...Mike may not be a commercial guide, but yes, he guides rafts down the Poudre, and I'd say he does a pretty slick job at it. Considering he rafts and kayaks, and helps out when he sees commercial rafters floating down the river on an upside-down raft heading toward Mish Falls...yeah, I think he knows what he's talking about.

Musta just been a bad day. Gotta love the river for reminding everyone to respect moving water.
holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by holley View Post
Just for the record...Mike may not be a commercial guide, but yes, he guides rafts down the Poudre, and I'd say he does a pretty slick job at it. Considering he rafts and kayaks, and helps out when he sees commercial rafters floating down the river on an upside-down raft heading toward Mish Falls...yeah, I think he knows what he's talking about.

Musta just been a bad day. Gotta love the river for reminding everyone to respect moving water.
I never doubted his ability and as I mentioned above we are ALL grateful to the many talented boaters that help with anyone's carnage!
Old 07-16-2008   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Oh, it was a shit show, but I can personally say it wasn't just the commercials unfortunately... I felt like I should've been in a tube with a beer ball lashed to the back when I went through pineview!!! (Where exactly is the "back" of a tube???)
arkriverrat is offline   Reply With Quote