Poudre - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-31-2013   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Poudre

Some questions since I am new to the area. I know runoff is around late may/June but when does the river normally start to go up? Is the current level normal? I know the snow pack is not crazy low this year so just wondering if this is normal this time of year.

T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1112 View Post
Some questions since I am new to the area. I know runoff is around late may/June but when does the river normally start to go up? Is the current level normal? I know the snow pack is not crazy low this year so just wondering if this is normal this time of year.
I think current flows are pretty normal for this time of year, perhaps a bit lower than normal. Expect to see things go up slightly soon...but not much. Depending on weather conditions up high melt should start sometime in late April, or hopefully May. Right now snowpack is still well below average, and the chances for improvement are looking more and more slim... This is a great resource for Poudre flows:

Poudre Rock Report
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #3

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Last year the river went off about 2-3 weeks early. It was great while it lasted went down and had another peak at about it's usuall time.
yak1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013   #4
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Early May.
It is gonna get gritty.
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by yak1 View Post
Last year the river went off about 2-3 weeks early. It was great while it lasted went down and had another peak at about it's usuall time.
Wasn't the river closed due to fire for most of the second peak?
Old 04-01-2013   #6
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
the peak i saw last year was 3.1 on the day the 2nd fire lit. i seem to recall they dropped it a bit during the fire.
to the OP, the flow now is pretty much normal. commercial season starts on the permitted date around may 15, which usually coincides with the water starting to come up. within a week or to it's already flowing fairly big. last year was the first i've seen it start so early in my 8 years up there.
the gauge is unfrozen already. and i honestly wouldn't be surprised if it flows early. all depends on the weather.
keep them rain/snow dances goin'. it ain't over just yet!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
The first run my kids and I did last year on the Poudre was on 4/13 when it was at 180 CFS - diversion dam below BTO was open that time and we kayaked Filter plant. The next day we ran the raft from Stevens thru BTO and the rock was showing 1.0 foot. On 4/24 the rock was at 2.0 feet. Definitely an early start last year.
In 2011 the first run on Filter was on 4/20 at 300 cfs.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote