Potentially best 1/4 mile of ww in CO, potentially... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 11-10-2005   #1

Potentially best 1/4 mile of ww in CO, potentially...

Went for a hike this w/e and checked out lower Wolf Creek below the tunnel of love and the clean 20'er you can see from the road. Check out the goods in the galleries.
It is an unreal gorge with 4 sick drops in succession. The only bummer is the really sweet drops land on rocks that are too big to wash out. The access is easy and could be run for most of the year.
Anyone have some spare TNT?
Thanks to Smiley for the heads up on where to scout...

Steve.

sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2005   #2
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
sward-

i think youre onto something here. have you checked out the site where they canyoneer the upper and lower? there looks like there was siiiick runnable drops on the upper. also, how big of rocks are we talking in the landing?

this creek could be uber sick
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #3
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
no dis ... but "onto something"???

wolf creek, which is roadside near one of the paddling meccas of the country, has been on the radar for many years. like in videos & stuff. the stuff thats runnable has been. the stuff downstream (photos) lands on rocks. that's not "potentially the best" anything in colorado -- it lands on rocks. the stuff upstream of the normally run section is huge & *may* be doable on your best day. once the old growth has been removed. if you're on par with the best creekers on the planet. with a film crew. there are 2 or 3 individual drops that, again, *may* go, but they're surrounded before & after by unrunnable junk. there's a reason why it hasn't been run, & that reason is *not* because it's some obscure undiscovered gem.

i don't get it -- how come all summer long getting people to even consider lake creek or yule creek, which are both amazing & *clean*, is next to impossible ... and yeti, i love your sense of curiosity about all the creeks & gorges in colorado, that shit's awesome. but as a self described class III paddler, your credibility in assessing the runnability of high-end class V or VI is pretty much nonexistant. that's a safety issue in & of itself.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2005   #4
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #5
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
you totally took that the wrong way bro. i can see how my post would come off as dick-ish. sorry for that. relax though, your temper tantrum is out of line.

look dude, i've seen throughout your 5 pg thread numerous times where you've claimed this or that to be "runnable", when it ain't. that's all. this isn't about who's allowed near anything, & i absolutely gag on the word "extreme". you can totally help clean, discover, map, photo, whatever you want & whatver your crew will have you along for, and that's great. if i was in colorado, you could haul wood out of anyting that i was looking to do & i would buy you a donut. buuut, you saying wheter something super gnarly is runnable or not, based on a map or a picture, is a different story altogether. you sound like a young grasshopper. you'll learn. & again, i wasn't disrespecting you -- i admire yr drive to explore & yr, um, spunk.

ps, if yr sick of the "same old runs", heres a clue: start exploring in places that don't have one of the densest boater populations in the world. you can go one state south or north & find TONS of unrun quality stuff. seriously.

edit: this whiney bitch has already been there several times, junior.
Old 11-15-2005   #6

Again, I can tell it is going to be a long winter. My posting of the pics and my subject line may have been misleading, unless you own dynamite.

Just posting some pics that I thought were cool from a hike. If you are in the area stop in and check it out. It is a pretty special spot and the access is easy.

Yeti, I appreciate the enthusiasm, keep up the good work.

Todd, let's not kill anyone's joy.

Steve.
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #7
Charc in = charc out

Seattle, Washington
Fair enough holmes. Enjoy the snow! I'ma enjoy some whitewater ..
Old 11-15-2005   #8

Durango, CO
Paddling Since: 1990
if you could had read the e-mail i sent to steve initially,you might have understood the irony of his post.we were talking about the stuff above the hwy and i mentioned the gorge below. unfortunately for all of us, the rocks at the base of the 4 falls fell in when CDOT blasted the hwy,so up to that point this 1/4 mile section of whitewater could have, POTENTIALLY, been the best in Colorado.actually the whole section from the tunnel would have gone.i finished by saying it's all about the what if's. so check it out someday if you already haven't, it's a really cool hike and great fishing.
d.e. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #9

if the rocks fell in when CDOT blasted - why weren't they required to remove them? I know the contractor working on the other side of the wolf creek pass near the class V section of the South Fork of the Rio Grande is under intense pressure not put ANY rocks in the river or face stiff penalties from the Corps of Engineers. That's in the contract and it caused the project to be delayed and rebid b/c noone wanted that liablity and engineering challenge of moving literally hundreds and thousands of tons of rock with blasts and not putting rocks in the river. The riverbed was actually videotaped before the project started.

just a random thought ... but if anyone has more spare time than I do maybe someone could talk to the Corps or CDOT to see about getting them removed.
matobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #10

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
or go down late fall with a really big prybar, some manpower and come-a-longs.....
steven is offline   Reply With Quote