Possible Prescription RX purchase - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-13-2007   #1

colorado springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Possible Prescription RX purchase

Hey paddle land-
I am on the verge of purchasing a dagger prescription rx 6.9. Just wondering if anyone had some feedback, good or bad, about this boat.

I am 6' 1" and weigh 175. I bought my first boat last year, pyranha sub7, but after several long paddle runs this season, i realize it is toooo small. So I am looking to upgrade.

I want a solid boat that can hold good lines (at least as good as the paddler can make them) through class IV as well as be my friend next year when I learn entry play technique.

I am going to demo the boat at pueblo park n play tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback. G Bless.

Hdubious

hdubious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007   #2

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
Im totaly biased as I work for Dagger but I can tell you the boat fits the description of what you are looking for. We designed it to be a great river running player. Stable, easy to spin and surf, forgiving and comfortable. Makes for a great boat to take down stream but will play well and be a good platform to learn from.

hobie
Dagger Kayaks
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #3

Thanks Hobie-
I've read recently about WS having some warranty issues. I know that Dagger is a sister company, are there similar concerns there as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
new boats come with 3 year warranty some things aren;t covered but it is a solid warranty! of coarse if you loop on to rocks and crack it it wont be covered but if theres a defect with actual product sent out like

"warranted against defects in materials and workmanship, to the original consumer(you) doesn't cover abuse, alteration, or unautorized repair" from the actual owner manual
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #5

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
No problems, just some pretty lengthy delays. Another thing is WS had more warranty issues then we did so it is something to consider. However, under our new CEO things look way, way better for both WS and Dagger. I cant even begin to tell you what a breath of fresh air Tom is. Time will show what we are working on right now. I think it is going to change the minds of a lot of paddlers.

hobie
Dagger
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #6

Yo, after realizing it might have come off as me calling out Dagger for defects, I want you to know that wasn't my intentions. I just read about it in some other threads and was curious of boat knowledge.
In fact, I just ran the pueblo park n play this afternoon and loved the demo boat. Being a rookie, I have not much to compare it to but it was easy to roll, stable, comfortable, and I surfed my first wave in it.
I really liked the volume distribution centered around the cockpit. There were times when I should have flipped but with a beginners brace, the boat kept up and recovered nicely; almost doing the work for me.
I almost feel like I could fit into the 6.7. What do you think? 6'1" 175lbs.
Old 07-13-2007   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
new boats come with 3 year warranty some things aren;t covered but it is a solid warranty! of coarse if you loop on to rocks and crack it it wont be covered but if theres a defect with actual product sent out like

"warranted against defects in materials and workmanship, to the original consumer(you) doesn't cover abuse, alteration, or unautorized repair" from the actual owner manual
Good looking out, thanks Mike. Do you roll with dagger? What boat do you ride?
Old 07-14-2007   #8
Big Building with Gear

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Well, if ya demoed it and you like it, go for it. So far this year we haven't had any prescriptions come in with any defects and everyone who's picked one up has had nothing but good things to say about em. Being about your size (6'2, 185) I loved the 6.9 when I tried it out, out of all the RR playboats its got the best mix of play and running abilities. Was pretty killer in the Lower section of Clear Creek at about 800 and was a blast in the park. You may be able to fit in the 6.7 depending on foot size, etc. but you'd be in the upper end of its weight range which would change the performance of the boat, losing a bit of boat speed and river run-ability in exchange for better playboating and ease in throwing ends. If you're on the fence try to get into both, but the comfort of it will probably be more of a deciding factor for you than the boat's performance.
Alpine Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Rx 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdubious View Post
Hey paddle land-
I am on the verge of purchasing a dagger prescription rx 6.9. Just wondering if anyone had some feedback,

(Snip)
I paddle a Rx 6.9 and I am:

5' 11"
190 LBS
Been Paddling moderate stuff on and off for about 10 years.

I demoed lots of stuff last season before settling on the Rx. It was a comfortable boat for me and I liked the rigging. I wanted a boat that I could play a little in and do some river running. I made my first runs down browns and upper rustic on it this year and the boat inspired confidence. One of the reasons I liked it was it's prowess at carving into eddies and it appeared to be a very stable and neutral handler (no suprises).

I have boated more the last couple summers than all my recent years and allot of it has been in Boulder creek and Lyons which does not have the greatest holes and I am not much of a play boater. But I have been able to pull off kinda of a spastic type cart wheel in the thing and in the right hole you can spin all day. Being a bit larger it seems to flush out of smaller holes more than a pure play boat and starts to feel cumbersome when you try harder tricks.

Boulder creek is shallow and the boat has taken a beating and the plastic seems a bit soft. When I hit rocks the bottom feels paper thin. It has gotten really scratched up. BUT I have had NOT one issue with the boat. I picked it up used and it has done everything I expected it to do and I feel really comfortable paddling it. My right hip gets a bit stiff after being in the boat for over a few hours but I think this is pretty good for this type of boat. I think I paddled in it about 2 or 3 times before I bought it. Try to find a demo day from a shop that has several of the same types boats and compare head to head at some place like Golden and really have it set in your mind the types of things you expect out of the boat. Then the decision gets much easier

my $.0 2