Possible Accident on Boulder Creek? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2008   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Possible Accident on Boulder Creek?

I was boating Lower Boulder Canyon today. On our way to pick up our car at the put-in around 3 PM a lot of fire, police and rescue personnel began filling in along Boulder Creek on Canyon. We saw an orange kayak wrapped on a rock in the center of the river about 300 feet below Elephant Butress with no paddler in it. A sheriffs car was scanning the the Creek with it lights as it drove along. It was all pretty creepy.

Hopefully it was a false alarm.

STLAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008   #2

Actually it was a friend and myself who lost our boats up boulder creek. We had to swim and then drove way down river and began to walk up to try and find our boats. Apparently they got stuck and people driving by called the police. Other than just getting banged up, were doing pretty well. Thanks for the thoughts.
BruneKayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I was hoping that's what happened

Good news. Glad to hear you got your boat back too.

And I guess it's nice to know those people on the bike path are paying attention, and bring their cells phones.
STLAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008   #4

Longmont, Colorado
were you really not wearing a pfd?
crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I would hope anyone who knows what PFD stands for would be wearing a PFD in that situation.

So were you really not wearing a life jacket?
aschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
2 boats and 2 swimmers. Damn.. Find some unexpected pleasure in the canyon?
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
paddle

I saw a paddle laying on the bank just above the dam at the top of the WW course last night. Might still be there.
Old 05-24-2008   #8
cma

Boulder
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackeryaker View Post
were you really not wearing a pfd?
where did he say he wasn't wearing a pfd?
cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #9

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschmidt View Post
I would hope anyone who knows what PFD stands for would be wearing a PFD in that situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschmidt View Post

So were you really not wearing a life jacket?

good point schmidt

cma, that was just what i heard from some boater at the park in town, defiantly a rumor, that’s why i was asking at the source...from what "this guy" said "these two guys got it the water above the buttres, one in something like an evo, one w/o a lifejacket, and then they both proceeded to swim with in five strokes, then they went home to get a car or something. Admittedly this sounds like an exaggerated account...
crackeryaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008   #10

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Heard the same things.... Cracker.. you must be Mike?

Bottom line on this is that these boys are probably looking at several thousand dollars in bills for what happened after they bailed. There were two fire engines, scuba team, ambulances, tons of general rescue workers and people stopping traffic so they could use one lane in the canyon. My guess over 30 people for several hours.
Overkill yes, especially hindsite 20/20. BUT, the city's can't just "sorta react" when they find a boat in the river and no one that knows what happened to the paddler(s). I am sure they have a canned response since they have no idea if there is a body pinned above or below the boat. Think of it... the body could be f'n 10 miles up or downstream for all they know. With today's litigous(sp?) socienty... that a price that... well, they are going to pay for doing something that stupid. (leaving a scene of an accident of that nature).
I am glad they are OK, but I would be very surprised if their wallets aren't a lot skinnier...

Didn't Golden charge 3K to someone that did the same thing last year in Lower CC???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, boulder, boulder creek