Portland vs. Seattle - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2013   #1

San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 2004
Portland vs. Seattle

Hello,
So my girlfriend and I are going to move to Seattle or Portland. Which is better for whitewater kayaking? I am a class 4-5 boater she is 3 soon to be 4. Thoughts? You can include other factors too...

btw I am gonna check out professor paddle as well

Thanks a Bunch!

Cbishop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013   #2

Angel Fire, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2004
I may be biased as I grew up close to Portland but I would say Portland is better. Good selection of rivers and creeks within a reasonable drive, especially if you live on the east side somewhere.
backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #3

I asked this question here, on Prof Paddle AND some Oregon forum last year. I'm sure youll get some replies but searching those would get you more opinions. From what I can tell, you cant really go wrong...
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
My gf is interested in heading out to seattle for work as well. I'm a 3-4 boater, will I be just as happy as on the front range, or even happier with the much longer season?
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Whichever ya choose, say goodbye to the blue sky for a BIG chunk of the year.
But who cares if you're kayaking, right... ?
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #6

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Just got back from an Oregon trip. 2 things I noticed about this state.
1. Oregon likes slow speed limits. You can be on a straight away in the middle of nowhere and they'll keep you at 45 to 55 MPH.
2. Oregon doesn't believe you are competent enough to pump your own gas. So you sit and wait for someone to do it for you.

Maybe 1 and 2 are related in some way...not sure. Anyway, lot's of river options from what I saw. I ran portions of the deschutes and some stuff off the west slopes of Hood. Although the water was a bit low right now around Hood I thought.

Oh and traffic blows in Portland. But it also blows in Seattle so pick your poison.
Old 08-04-2013   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
But the traffic also blows in SLC, Boise, Flagstaff, anywhere along I-25 or I-70, Bend, or any other towns that designed their highways 40-50 years ago. So you should take that factor out of the decision making process or you'll end up in...
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #8

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
But the traffic also blows in SLC, Boise, Flagstaff, anywhere along I-25 or I-70, Bend, or any other towns that designed their highways 40-50 years ago. So you should take that factor out of the decision making process or you'll end up in...
Nah...traffic in SLC can get bad but it doesn't come close to Seattle or Portland (yet).
Old 08-05-2013   #9
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrain View Post
Nah...traffic in SLC can get bad but it doesn't come close to Seattle or Portland (yet).
This is true. And while Boise has it's moments nothing like the Seattle Portland thing. SLC isn't bad either. Sucks sometimes is not the same as sucking for two hours anytime day or night. Or so it seems to this country bumpkin.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #10

Seattle, Washington
Some Portland pros would be better boating scene and lw/ws is close by, less traffic, slightly lower cost of living.

Some Seattle pros would bigger mountains, along with the winter rains there is also a lot of snowmelt runs in the spring/summer, vastly superior skiing if that matters to you, imo a cooler, much prettier city with more going on, way better for career advancement.

Not sure which of those you prefer, but you can't go wrong with either..well unless you need sunlight in the late fall/winter/early spring time of the year. Interestingly enough it's like a desert up here in the summer. The last two months have been between 75 and 85 and sunny everyday.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote