Portage cart - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-12-2005   #1

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Portage cart

For one of my college courses I am designing a collapsible portage cart that will fit in the stern on even small playboats to make portaging more convenient and easier on the body. I am curious what you all think of the idea and what features/characteristics you would want to see in a product like this? Furthermore what are some of the other products out there that you guys/gals have used? From my experience all I’ve seen or heard of are home-made backpack systems. Any input would be greatly appreciated, and I’ll keep everyone posted as the product develops.

Thanks,
Teletumbler

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005   #2

You can call it the Waterton Wagon.

I should get a kickback for the naming rights.
soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #3

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
I was thinking Portage Pal but that is good too.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2005   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Lots of backpack options, and those generally work well for hikes without crazy rocks etc. For those easy yet long walks like waterton, it seems like something with wheels would be good, like the wheelies for sea kayaks. In my humble opinion, a robot sherpa would be awesome!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #5

Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
That would be pretty rad...the wheels would have to be big enough to roll over rocks and stuff but still fit in the boat. Maybe like mountainboard tires? They're about 8 or 9inches and have an inner tube with good tread. If you hooked them up to a folding frame...mayby so one folds over and the other under..making an object flat and just the size of one tire...then a telescoping pole (maybe like a tent pole only thicker and stronger) to go the length of the boat...then the boat's stern or bow could rest on the small frame between the tires, be lashed to the pole that goes the length of the boat to your hand. That would be spiffy...I'll take one.
Old 09-12-2005   #6

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
A backpak would be more useful than something with wheels...the cart idea would be useful for some situations while the pack would be useful for all situations.....just something to think about....
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #7

The pack's been done by a few companies. Nothing really new there.
Old 09-12-2005   #8

Plus, with a pack you still have to bear the whole load. With a wheeled cart you A) have a lever arm so you're load would be WAY less and B) don't have to take the time to strap the thing in and put it on. Sure, if you're trecking the high sierra you're not going to be able to use a cart and the time you'll have it on your back will dwarf the time it takes to strap it in..but if you're on a well worn trail with few big obstacles and cart comes out and BAM sets up in a flash then...that's a cool little gizmo.
Old 09-12-2005   #9

a midget,
a donkey,
rocket propulsion,
anti-gravity features,
beer holders/cooler,
solar powered,
pogo stick, ie springs, shocks,
sled with brakes,
skid plate for bottom of kayak
super comfortable shoulder straps.
oh well class just ended, I am outa here.
mankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005   #10

Boulder, Colorado
I think it would be perfect for waterton (yeah, waterton wagon is a great name for it )

I used a backpack system to portage there and my shoulders still hurt afterwards- had to stop several times to rest. (I'm smaller than most of you guys who run waterton!! ) A cart would be awesome!

I have one for my canoe, but it's definitely too big to use for my kayak. You should post pictures of the finished product when you have it! I may have to buy one if you put them in production

check out the wildwasser canoe cart, it may give you some ideas on design. it uses straps to attach the boat to the cart. works great!

Lauren
Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote