portable power for electric pumps? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2008   #1

Richmond, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1990
portable power for electric pumps?

I have a magic air metro inflator and am trying to rig a portable battery that is easy to move around for inflating my raft. Has anybody thought about using one of those portable jump boxes for cars to power an electric inflator? Or what is the smallest battery one could use to provide the juice needed to inflate a raft? Thanks...

Sorry about all the newbie posts but I guess there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Lax71vcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I use a extra motorcycle battery I have laying around. It measures about 6"x3"x6" and it does just fine. If I did not have that, I would just buy the cheapest, smallest marine battery so you do not have to worry about acid spilling. I just use the motorcycle battery in my yard. If I blow up the raft on site I use the truck battery and have a set of jumper cables in the truck to give me about a 20' reach from the front of the truck.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I had a lot of trouble with my metro pump. It only worked for about 8 boat inflations. They took it back under warrenty no problem, but the one they sent me back also barely inflated. I still need to deal with that. I have several people recommend the nsr Blast. I got that one because i couldn't wait another 6 weeks to get my Metro back. So far I love it and it blows up my boat faster than the Metro.

Another tip I was told about the Metro, but can't verify if it's true. I was told that you are not suppose to run your car while using it attached to the car battery. Does anyone know? I've never thought about having a marine battery to use, that would solve a several issues I have come across, like put in too far away from car.
Dahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2008   #4

Richmond, Virginia
Never thought about motorcycle battery

the motorcycle battery is a great idea. small compact somewhat light.

I think I left some details out on my original post... I am using the big orange can metro electric pump. The company that makes it is Magic Air. It is a 12v pump that clips to the batter of your automobile with positive and negative terminal clips. I should of given more detail initially and am just trying to clarify. Hope this helps.

Anybody know if using the car jump boxes is ok?
Lax
Old 06-19-2008   #5

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
I've used a jumper pack and inverter and had good luck. Both from Walmart. I even use a inflatable mattress pump, which is OK, but requires topping off by hand. The nice thing about the jumper pack is that it is easy to recharge with 110v house current whereas with a motorcycle battery, you need a charger of sorts. Plus you can jump your car when you forget to turn off the interior light and come back days later and find your battery dead.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #6

Richmond, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomnature View Post
I've used a jumper pack and inverter and had good luck. Both from Walmart. I even use a inflatable mattress pump, which is OK, but requires topping off by hand. The nice thing about the jumper pack is that it is easy to recharge with 110v house current whereas with a motorcycle battery, you need a charger of sorts. Plus you can jump your car when you forget to turn off the interior light and come back days later and find your battery dead.
Excuse my ignorance but why do we need an inverter. can the jump pack clamps be hooked right on the 12v electric raft pump clips or will bad things happen? How much was the inverter and where is it found in wally world. Would it be easier to just get a battery or try to set up the jumper pack.
Old 06-19-2008   #7

with my LVM I just went down to BatteriesPlus or somewhere similar and they have all kinds of 12v batteries. something in the 7 - 12 amp range (amp hours refers to how long a battery will last) will last for several inflation/deflation rounds. Cheap, small, and pretty light. I just use the charger I have for my deep cycle batteries for other stuff but you can get a charger cheap too for those small little bats.

(something like this:
Batteries Plus - Werker 12V 5AH AGM Battery W/ .187 Terminal - WKA12-5F
lots of sizes to choose from)
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #8

Parachute, Colorado
Blower Ideas

I got fed up with all of the 12v blowers that ran off of car batteries. With $10 of PVC and my leaf blower, I can inflate ANYWHERE.

PSI wise it is higher than the small electric ones but a lot less than the generator and red devil the motor rig boys had at Potash last week.

Best of luck, Chris

Shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008   #9

Richmond, Virginia
I have a cigarette lighter jack on my jumper box. However my pump has the clamps to clamp to battery terminals. If I used a cigarette lighter adaptor and cut the cord could I then clip the alligator clamps from my pump to the exposed cords on the lighter adaptor.

Would this work?
Old 06-19-2008   #10

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax71vcu View Post
I have a magic air metro inflater and am trying to rig a portable battery that is easy to move around for inflating my raft. Has anybody thought about using one of those portable jump boxes for cars to power an electric inflater? .
I use a portable jump start battery for inflating my boats. I also use it to jump start diesel engines in heavy equipment. A word of warning if you invest in one of these..........you get what you pay for.

I bought mine at NAPA and payed around $180.00 for it, but I use it for work, not just for blowing up boats. It has a cigarette lighter on it so you can charge Ipods with it on the river. I took it to the Selway a few years ago. We blew up half a dozen boats then charged 4 to 5 Ipods every night for 6 nights. It still had enough juice to jump start a truck at the takeout.

A cheap one from wally world should due for a boat or two, But the cheap ones really are cheap...........Harbor freight type cheap. Don't expect a lot of performance out of it.

I've blown up boats with hair dryers, shop vac's and various other methods over the years............ but the leaf blower idea is...........brilliant........simply brilliant. That's right up there with the Daiquiri Wacker!!!
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote