poison ivy,how do you keep it away? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-12-2007   #1

C B, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
poison ivy,how do you keep it away?

what are your (boaters of all types) idea's for keep the poison ivy off you and your gear in the black canyon?????

goodnoughc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007   #2

California Canoe and Kayak Oakland California
Send a message via MSN to Parkito
Cover yourself in bronners soap before the portage, then rinse off afterwards. Scrubbing with sand and cold water after contact with the shit is good too. I thought poison ivy was bad till I found out what oak can do to ya.
Parkito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #3

Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Well, according to the redneck I was talking to at a shop, to see if they had any Teknu, 'just stay away from it'.

Not an option when kayaking/scouting/portaging an area with poison ivy.

When running the Blackfoot River in SE Idaho, I always bag my gear after boating and wash it before touching it again. Use poison ivy block & soap pre & post boating on hands and legs (if not wearing dry pants)--can't remember the name of the pre-exposure block, but Teknu is an ivy soap. Wash boat & paddle with soap after boating as well.

Doug
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2007   #4

Boulder / Tennessee, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We used to use dish soap like sunscreen to go climbing in poison-ivy infested areas back east. Something about how it cleans grease off pots and pans will keep the oil from the plants from getting into your skin...just remember to wash it off when you are done. I don't think it can do anything to hurt your gaskets either, but no promises.
Gnarcissist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #5

legend
one word: Dry suit.

The soap ideas work great. I wear my drysuit through the portage and then wash it really well at cave camp before I take it off.

bring a big boat sponge and soak it with dishsoap before you go. let it dry and carry it in your boat. when you get it wet, it will still be full of soap. this way you don't have to worry about bringing a bottle of soap with you.

i usually get poison Ivy really bad, but I haven't gotten any in my three trips into the black by using this method. If you don't have a drysuit, definitely wear pants. I don't care how hot it is. the bottom of that canyon is a cold dark chasm. and the water is very cold. Pants are strongly recommended regardless of the poison ivy.

Also, the poison ivy was starting to die last weekend in the black. i think it's not super potent now.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #6

Davis, California
yep, if you do get contact on your skin, wash it as soon as you can in cold water with lots of soap, it keeps your pores from opening up and taking in the oil

also, if you do go drysuit, make sure you hands don't have any oil on them especially for when nature calls.

its BAD.
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Wear a cover-all. The dish soap method works well, but soap mixed with baking soda works much better. The baking soda oxidizes the alcohol groups on the compound and the soap washes it off. AKA double wammy
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #8
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I have always heard that if you pee on your exposed skin it will neutralize the poison ivy. It also works with jellyfish stings.

let us know how this works for you.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mut View Post
I have always heard that if you pee on your exposed skin it will neutralize the poison ivy. It also works with jellyfish stings.

let us know how this works for you.

Does is help if the Pee is from the opposite sex ?
Old 09-13-2007   #10

Edge o' the Dust Bowl, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1982
I'm not familiar w/ Teknu, but swear by Zanfel (good web site; check out the Q&A). Expensive and worth it. Breaks down the urushiol on contact, and stops the itching immediately. Have never needed more than 2-3 treatments.

So I'd say take all the precautions above, then use Zanfel as the final step. If anything slips through, Zanfel should knock it out quick.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote