Poison Ivy - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2008   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Poison Ivy

Okay, who's gotten it boating, and what do you do? Help!

I got just a little bit on the Poudre on Sunday - some on one finger, a bit on my cheek and a bit on my shoulder.
I washed my whole body with this crap called Tecnu, which is supposed to neutralize the oil.
But now I want to go paddle again, and I'm afraid of my gear. I'm afraid some of the urshiol is somewhere on some bit of my gear, and I'll end up with more poison ivy than I have now.
Do I need to scour all of my gear, boat and paddle included? Is soap gonna do the trick, or do I have to do more than that?

If you've gotten it while boating, did you ever recontaminate yourself from using your gear again later?
What if anything did you do to your gear after you realized you had gotten it while paddling?

-Thanks for any info. -

Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
Soap and cold water has done the trick on gear for me (or hot water with gloves, NOT hot water without gloves, since that will open up your pores).
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #3

Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
I get that crap probably twice a year.....pretty sure I don't even touch the stuff, because I'm SUPER careful, I'm just so damn allergic to it I think I can get within five feet and it jumps on.

I wouldn't worry too much about your gear and recontamination. Inevitably the crap will spread a little bit. Best thing to do is soak it in a bleach/water combo (not pure bleach) after each use.

As far as curing the itch....BEST method I've found is kind of burly but damn it feels better than that ITCH. I wait until the blisters are pretty stout, scratch the living hell out of it until it bleeds (which feels about as good as sex)...then I dump rubbing alcohol or bleach on it. Stings like a mutha, but I'll take that over the itch any day. Drys right up and usually goes away pretty quickly.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008   #4

San Diego and Frisco, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Id725 View Post
If you've gotten it while boating, did you ever recontaminate yourself from using your gear again later?
What if anything did you do to your gear after you realized you had gotten it while paddling?

-Thanks for any info. -
Be very afraid of your gear! I unknowingly borrowed my gal pal's CONTAMINATED wetsuit pants and had massive poison oak for two weeks (same oil as Poison Ivy.) The same pants have been washed and soaked many times AND STILL she is getting poison oak.
And ummm, I second everything Good Times said about the clorox cure. it never makes mine go away, but it does seem to help. AND ice also cuts the itch.
I would try and clean your gear with soap or other things that bust up grease (WD 40 would work on a paddle for example.) One other tip, if you think you brushed up against some, clean your skin ASAP with alcohol wipes or paper towels and Windex. I keep Windex in my car ..sounds goofy, but you can cut the severity of it if you wash off the oil.

KJ
Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #5

Denver, Colorado
Thanks, guys -

I was hoping not to have to do much to my gear, cause damn that's a lot of work to wash it all and I'm pretty lazy.
But I guess I'll spend tomorrow scouring it all with the Tecnu - bottle says it's good for washing PI off clothes.
Id725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Steroids Baby

Yeah thats right, I got poison ivy from wiping with it once and called the doctor immediately and he gave a short run of steroids to kill the stuff. It was completely gone in about 48 hours. Beats the week it normally takes.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #7
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I got it in 05, tiny patch on my calf. It spread through putting on clothes (for work) more than anything else.

Benadryl makes a lotion/ointment that was THE relief for me (no masochism necessary). Also, taking regular pill-form benadryl will suppress the allergic response to some extent (you may or may not notice, but it's a recommended relief Rx by a lot of doctors).

I never cleaned my gear, but it was 2 weeks between the time I noticed the rash and the time I could paddle again (in which time, my normal donning of clothes had spread it from my calf to my armpits on both sides).

It was fucking hell, man. HELL!~

I'd wash your gear as a precaution, but I wouldn't go nuts on it for the stuff you were wearing on Sunday. Drytops aren't particularly pourous, and a wash-through should get it out. A wetsuit (from the above writer) would seem to me to be a perfect environment for the oil to adhere to.

Good luck man, I hope it's over soon.
Oh yeah, I also took the steroids when I got back from a 2-week business trip (which is the time it spread from leg to clavicle).
Old 07-01-2008   #8
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've heard Dawn dish soap is good for washing the oil out of fabrics, which makes sense considering their "takes grease out of your way" claims...
Old 07-01-2008   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post
As far as curing the itch....BEST method I've found is kind of burly but damn it feels better than that ITCH. I wait until the blisters are pretty stout, scratch the living hell out of it until it bleeds (which feels about as good as sex)...then I dump rubbing alcohol or bleach on it. Stings like a mutha, but I'll take that over the itch any day. Drys right up and usually goes away pretty quickly.
Medically speaking, this is a bad idea. Bleach on open blisters? Good god man! Plus opening blisters opens you to infection.

It's the liquid inside the blisters that causes poison ivy to spread on your body once you have showered and washed off any other oil from the plant. If you don't break the blisters, a rash will only form where the plant touched you. Break the blisters and where that fluid goes is where more blisters and itching go. Do your best to go Zen Buddhist and not scratch or do anything that irritates your rash. Try running cool water on the irritation if you just can't stand it. Just don't break the blisters! I'm not speculating here... this advice comes from too much personal experience and a lot of medical research.

For servere cases there are prescription steroids and topical ointments that work really well to dry up the rash. Otherwise, if you can't achieve the no itch nirvana, over the counter drugs such as benedryl or calamine lotion may help a little, although I've never found them very effective.

Regarding your gear... it's like Craven said, soap and water. Soap will dissolve the oil from the plant. Not sure what the deal is with neoprene as mentioned in a previous post, but thorough washing will almost always dissolve the oil. Don't use hot water on any gear that has taped seems, they'll delaminate.

Truly, your best defense is to learn how to identify the plant and do your best to never touch it. Seems to be working out for me.
JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008   #10

Longmont, Colorado
Hydrocortisone-Lanacort 10? Work's for me.
baguaninja is offline   Reply With Quote