Pogies and reach.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-04-2012   #1

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Pogies and reach....

So I just ran Barrel Spring through Shoshone yesterday and had a great time; warm sun, but cold water. I was wearing pogies and realized again this year that I don't feel like I paddle the same when I wear them. My friend agrees. It's as if I don't reach as far as normal with them on the paddle and I think I see other people taking shorter strokes too...

Any thoughts? Does anyone else feel the same?

There are also glove vs pogie people too.....

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012   #2

The Bitterroot, Montana
I didn't like gloves until I discovered paddle wax. I feel the same way about poggies and didn't really like the way gloves slide around. A buddy gave me some Mr. Zogs sex wax and now I exclusively use gloves.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
montucky, you would be the 3rd person I've heard recommend paddle wax and gloves. i'm interested to know who else might use wax and gloves?

I use pogies, and i have tried many kinds before i found a pair that worked for me. I have big hands and so the only ones i found that were non constrictive were the snap dragon hot hands? i think, thank you lenny!

The nrs, ir, and level 6 were all to small, and hard for me to get my hands in. when i could wear them it felt like i was griping the fabric. I did not like them and I felt like thy were messing with my strokes as well. I went with out them, tried wax, gloves, never wax and gloves, but even gloves i do not like.

one trick, that i adapted to my snap dragon, and might have saved me more grief IF i could get my hands IN the pogie was that i extended the velcro grip straps by 2" to fit my bent shaft better and it has worked ever since.

you are welcome to try my pogies out next time i'm out your way. we are doing westwater next sat, and might be doing barrel laps on friday if i can convince the group. i will let you know. my 2 cents
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012   #4

Teacher
Its all about the NRS toaster Mittens. I think the Poagies are heavy, which is probably why you don't extend, and if you are play boating fill up. Gloves tire my hands out, tried many of them. Toaster mitts, for me, give me good grip with out tiring my hands. When play boating my hands almost stay dry. You can ape up to waves or hold on to rocks when are creeking. Never had any trouble pulling the grab loop. Of course that only happens at the take out.
Old 11-04-2012   #5

Denver,, exhaustion
i never liked the way gloves gripped... and just never liked pogies.

john t let me use some paddle wax, the glove grip issue was solved.

now i am a NRS toaster mitts guy (with the wax) they are so warm.

i agree the key with either gloves or mitts is the wax.

that said i now use it when i bare shaft as well.
Old 11-04-2012   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
that said i now use it when i bare shaft as well.

Too Much Info...
rah ha ha ha!!!
Old 11-04-2012   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1972
So... I just went on the NRS site and bought some of the Toaster Mitts. They're on sale. I've got pogies (hate 'em) and was willing to invest some cash to try something else. Thanks to all for the info.
hkydef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think people make too big of a deal out of pogies and gloves. I'm amazed how many people will paddle with totally numb hands declaring how they can't stand to wear pogies. Once you paddle with either a couple of times you forget about it. My only problem with pogies are those floppy ones like NRS that are slow to get in and out of. Anyway, if it's affecting your paddling it's probably just psychological or maybe there is some discomfort from rubbing causing you to restrict your motion (take it easy Beth). Bomber Gear pogies seem to be the best for all of the above though I'm told the new ones no longer have the cool hand graphic which is lame.

The one thing I will say is that on occasion, I've had to use my hand for something and needed to quickly start paddling again, and have been forced to try and paddle with my hand on top of the pogie before I could slide it over and that's a problem. If I'm on something really creeky where I'm likely to be using my hands to grab things with some frequency I'll wear gloves. My 2 cents.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012   #9

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
I think people make too big of a deal out of pogies and gloves. I'm amazed how many people will paddle with totally numb hands declaring how they can't stand to wear pogies. Once you paddle with either a couple of times you forget about it. My only problem with pogies are those floppy ones like NRS that are slow to get in and out of. Anyway, if it's affecting your paddling it's probably just psychological or maybe there is some discomfort from rubbing causing you to restrict your motion (take it easy Beth). Bomber Gear pogies seem to be the best for all of the above though I'm told the new ones no longer have the cool hand graphic which is lame.

The one thing I will say is that on occasion, I've had to use my hand for something and needed to quickly start paddling again, and have been forced to try and paddle with my hand on top of the pogie before I could slide it over and that's a problem. If I'm on something really creeky where I'm likely to be using my hands to grab things with some frequency I'll wear gloves. My 2 cents.
Kevin we never finished our business discussion yesterday. how about selling me that spare pair think of it as charity for a poor broke college student
Old 11-05-2012   #10
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Pogies all the way.
Short, neoprene, bomber or IR.
There are some mittens out there that have no palm. Seem ok.
To each his own, but cold hands are no good.
S
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote