PNW Places to Live (for Paddling, etc.) - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2014   #1

Silverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
PNW Places to Live (for Paddling, etc.)

My wife and I have been paddling for a few years in MN/WI (we live in Minneapolis) and are planning to move to an area with a more active community, better paddling, and a longer season this summer.

Weíve been debating between the Southeast (likely Asheville) and the Pacific Northwest for well over a year, and I originally intended to post a ďSE vs. PNWĒ thread. However, after much research and many emails with the NC Dept. of Public Instruction and some teacher groups in the state, we have all but eliminated NC as an option. Here are some details on the abysmal teaching situation in NC (no offense to those of you in NC) if youíre interested: Pay Cuts, End Of Tenure Put North Carolina Teachers On Edge : NPR. We are both relatively new teachers, so income is pretty limited to begin with. Moving to NC from MN would mean about a 10K (~25%) wage cut for both of us, which is untenable. The surrounding states arenít really that much better for wages, and we really wanted to live in Asheville for the culture, music, beer (!), etc.

Iím open to suggestions for other SE Ďhot spotsí (i.e., fun, liberal, relatively small towns with an active/íoutdoorsyí community), but Iím now concentrating my efforts on the PNW. My question is where? Right now Hood River, OR/White Salmon, WA and Bend are on our radar. We donít want to live in a Ďbigí city, so unless our jobs demand it, we wonít look inside Portland or Seattle. Iíve read every page of the SE and PNW sections of Lelands book, River Gypsies. It was helpful, but it focuses mainly (not entirely) on runs that are beyond our current abilities.

Might be helpful to know a little about us:
- Early/Mid 30ís; No kids
- Class II-III paddlers, though we both aspire for more, and are determined to keep improving
- Other interests: Snowboarding, Biking (Mtn. & Road), Camping/Hiking, Disc Golf, Live Music, Craft Beer

I was researching Mt. Bachelor (just W of Bend) last night, and was amazed at their annual snowfall, length of season, and % of Difficult and Extreme runs. This is a definite plus for Bend. My hesitation for Bend is that itís a high-desert climate (relatively cool, esp. at night), and I donít know how much Class II-III whitewater there is in the area (other than Deschutes, which Iíve read a bit about). My goal right now is class IV, but I REALLY believe in a strong foundation, so I work hard every time out on skills, not just getting to IV quickly. What I want to avoid is moving somewhere that has only easy stuff, or worse, only hard stuff.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and for any thoughts or suggestions. Iím posting this on BoaterTalk and Mountain Buzz since those are the forums I know, and I know they draw from all over, but Iím open to PNW forum suggestions too.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1800
places in the NW for paddling

Southern OR, especially in the Ashland area has great paddling close by in both OR & N Cal, the Smith river, Illinois, Rogue, Cal Salmon, Klamath, Sacramento...endless smaller creeks & tributaries. Mt. Ashland is the ski area there, I haven't skied it, but hear it's fun. Mt Shasta, in far N Cal, but a few hours inland, is a nice town with skiing at Mt Shasta, & great boating nearby as well. Arcata, CA, 3 hrs west of Shasta on the coast on the coast is a great boating mecca within the same region as well. Nicer climate around Ashland, it's pretty gray & foggy most of the year on the coast. The only downside of university towns for teachers are lots of recent grads from teaching programs who want to stay in the area, making for more fish in a smaller job pool. Packing up the car with the toys & taking a road trip to check out places you're interested in is a fun way to figure it out, best of luck!
ranamafana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #3

Silverton, Oregon
Thanks ranamafana. I'll look into Ashland area and the others you mentioned. I recognize Arcata as the home of Kokatat - my new drysuit arrives Tuesday!

Car trip is exactly what we have planned. School is out in early June, and we plan to head west, catching the North Fork Championships on the way out, then explore a bit. We had hoped to get back to ID for the Payette River Games the next weekend, but I don't think that's going to give us enough time out west, and we need to prioritize the move over 'fun' right now.

FYI to anyone reading:
1. Someone at BoaterTalk mentioned Professor Paddle as a good PNW/WA forum, so I posted there as well.
2. I realized that I failed to mention that we are kayakers (vs. rafters, etc.) in case it matters.
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014   #4

Send a message via AIM to mprobst Send a message via MSN to mprobst
boise?

check out boise on your way through, lots of paddling of all ranges close by, and skiing is not far away either. not sure on teacher pay in idaho, I am guessing it is not great, but not as bad as NC
mprobst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #5

Silverton, Oregon
Thanks mprobst! Boise and Missoula are both on my radar, I just didn't want to add to my already lengthy email, and we are so free to move wherever that it feels overwhelming at times (too much freedom!?!?).

We will check out Boise on our way out or back. We'll be very close for the NFC.

Someone at BoaterTalk also mentioned Ashland, OR in the south end of that state..
Old 04-26-2014   #6

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Ashland is pretty nice the Shakespeare theater is there, and summer long music festival is in Jacksonville, the Britt. Mt Ashland is a small ski area, but much less expensive than Mt Bachelor. Ashland is very supportive of their school system, their levies generally always pass. Real estate prices are sky high but there are many surrounding communities that are much more reasonably priced. House price difference between Ashland and Medford is about $100K. Every level of whitewater you can imagine and with a mediterranean climate you can boat all year. Bend is really nice but cooler high desert and more conservative than Ashland great whitewater nearby. You might also look at Corvallis smaller university town with a very active boating community lots of whitewater nearby it is in the valley in the grass seed growing area, so if you have allergies keep that in mind. Corvallis has a good school system their school levies generally always pass. Micro-breweries are big all over the state especially westside. Ashland has Caldera, Standing Stone and several others, Bend has Deschutes and a bunch of others. Good luck with your choice.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #7

San Antonio, Texas
Paddling Since: 2004
I am a teacher moving to Seattle from Texas. Just a heads up that you kind of have to decide and begin a rather long and expensive process to get certified in another state...food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Cbishop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I can not believe I am doing this but I really like your avatar. Bozeman has a lot of what you are looking for. The skiing is definitely world class and lots of craft beer. Fairly good boating. So if you happen to be Going Down The Road Feeling Bad you should check out the Bozeman or even Livingston or Big Sky area.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014   #9

Silverton, Oregon
Thanks rivers2run for the additional info on Ashland and the surrounding area. I'll keep Corvallis in mind too. I have a cousin who did undergrad there, and I visited him once. I was there very briefly, but I remember it was a cool town.

Cbishop1, I know what you're saying about the bureaucracy that seems to permeate teaching (and so much of life)! That said, I don't know that I totally agree with you. Other than maybe getting job experience verified by previous employers or education programs, and having to do fingerprints, the process doesn't seem that long. Both OR and WA issue you a license and require you complete any testing requirement within a year (WA) or 18 months (OR). Oregon is even good enough to take the time to analyze your out-of-state content-area test scores to see if they are comparable. As far as I can tell, WA doesn't do this, and simply requires you take the WEST-E for your content area, but again, you have 12 months.

As far as cost, neither seems too bad to me. OR is $179 for application and fingerprint processing, and that gets you an Initial Teaching License, which is also valid for substitute teaching. In WA, it's $88 for the Residency license only, or $136 for that and a sub license.

One thing I will definitely give you is that the WA application (at 14 pages) does have a lot more hoops to jump through vs. OR (5 pages). For example, WA actually requires you to mail the form to the school where you earned your teaching degree, instead of just requiring transcripts like OR. WA also wants transcripts from all universities attended, whereas OR only wants them from places you've earned degrees. Lastly, OR has you get fingerprints done on FBI cards that most finger printers have, whereas WA wants you to either do it digitally - which can only be done in WA - or via their card, which you have to email them to get.

So yeah, I guess you are kind of correct, at least as far as WA is concerned.

Here are some links in case you're interested:
OR Licensure Info: Initial Teaching License Info
OR Application: http://www.oregon.gov/tspc/Documents/App_Form_C-1.pdf
WA Licensure Info (they don't really keep it all in one place like OR): Teacher Assessments
WA Application: http://www.k12.wa.us/certification/certapp/4031.pdf
Old 04-26-2014   #10

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers2run View Post
...You might also look at Corvallis smaller university town with a very active boating community lots of whitewater nearby it is in the valley in the grass seed growing area, so if you have allergies keep that in mind. Corvallis has a good school system their school levies generally always pass. Micro-breweries are big all over the state especially westside...
Good advice there, consider this area as well as Eugene which has the Mckenzie just to the East.
Pick up a copy of Soggy Sneakers from the Willamette Kayak and Canoe Club.
Also, keep an eye on wkcc.org for a list of club trips for when you're in the neighborhood - someone is leading a Class II- III trip somewhere most every weekend.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote