playboat suggestions take 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-05-2006   #1

playboat suggestions take 2

Thanks for all the suggestions and info on playboat design... After reading, doing some research and from last season's paddling, I think I'm narrowing the search of stuff to try. I'm 5'10, 175. I paddle a diesel 75 for big water and technical class 4 stuff. For playboating, I generally like to surf, spin, get into medium sized holes, squirts. I'd also like a playboat that is stable for running class 3/4ish water. I like park and play and river play. South Canyon is my favorite place to hang and surf. I feel my Riot Turbo is kind of edgy, so I'm looking for a boat with a bit less bite and that's fun. Any advice out there regarding the Necky Chronic,Mision, L.L. CR125, Vision 56 or any other suggestions? Thanks

otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2006   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I hear Necky is getting out of WW boats. So, I wouldn't go there. The CR and the Vision are sick boats. If you're not looking to loop your brains out and get twisted then get the CR. It'll do a ton of stuff and be more fun on the river.

Scott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I hear Necky is getting out of WW boats. So, I wouldn't go there. The CR and the Vision are sick boats. If you're not looking to loop your brains out and get twisted then get the CR. It'll do a ton of stuff and be more fun on the river.

Scott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2006   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
boats to try.....

For what you wanna do, an EZG 50, Vision 56, DragoRossi Fish, and the CR might be stuff to check out. My personal favorite boat at the moment is the Fish. It doesn't bounce into air all that good, but it is super loose, fast, carvy and runs rivers better then any other boat in its class. I have heard nothing but good about the WS EZG series and I am sure you'd like that. I tried the Vision last year and wished they made a bigger one (I'm 260 lbs), but for your size the Vision 56 should be an awesome boat for ya as well. I haven't gotten to try the CR yet, but it looks like a good boat, but the least play oriented of this small list. I bet it will still do awesome, but you might find it hard to throw around (only slightly). Get out and try some of these once the weather warms up and the snow starts melting. Most shops will let you put the price of a demo towards a purchase, so it never hurts to try a bunch out. There should be plenty of free demo nights too.

JH
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #5
JRO

The pyranha 420 is an awesome boat if you are looking to mainley just play, but the pyranha seven 0 is a great boat that will play great, but also be a good river runner.
JRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #6

artist
Send a message via AIM to ScottBarnes
Turbo trouble

I had a turbo for a little while and found that any of the "edgyness" was caused by how the stern was cut down to be able to initiate easily. So, keep that in mind when you look at other boats.

The Fish IS a good boat, but it does have just a little bit of twitch to it. I can feel the part, just behind the seat that drives the boat into carves so fast, and accelerates the boat down the wave. I, personally, like it because it's controllable (being so close to the seat and not way out on the tip). But, if you are not happy with the Turbo, then the you might not like the Fish either. The Stinger (if you are to stay thinking about DragoRossi designs) would be a better boat for you to consider. Faster than most spuds (and def. faster than the Visons) but not as fast as a Turbo or a Fish on a wave. But, that "spud" feel makes it feel faster paddling downstream because the bow just has a tendency to pop up over stuff, so the ride is pretty dry.

don't get me wrong. I like the Fish alot. I just think that the STINGER sounds more like what you are looking for.

I'll save my opinion on other boats so this doesn't get too long.
ScottBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006   #7

I say pick the boat that's best for play. Any playboat can run class 3 and 4 rivers. If you want a sick playboat that can also run the gnar, I reccomend the Dagger Kingpin. For your size, probably the 6.2
MonsieurExtrem is offline   Reply With Quote