Playboat help - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-12-2013   #1

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 10
Playboat help

I'm just getting into play boating and I have decided that it is time to upgrade from my extremely outdated wavesport forplay which is too big for me. I need a good playboat that Is great on eddy lines holes and waves. I am 5.5 and only weigh 120 lbs so foot space is not an issue for me

trevor4646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4Eva
We've got a couple used boats that would fit you very well.

2013 Dagger Jitsu 5.5 or a 2013 Jackson Star, both from our demo fleet.

In our opinion the Jitsu is a bit better as a playboat while the Star is a bit better at down river play and all around river use. Both would fit you great at your height and weight.
4CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You will have your choice in playboats from every manufacturer. However, I have noticed that the market seems to be 75% jackson in most parks these days. Playboats of today are going to be much different than the forplay, it's spud boats now for aerial moves.

There are a few new (old) designs coming back out much like your forplay that is focused more on river play and old school moves like a pyranha loki. You will always hear people say demo, but if you are looking at current "playboats" they are going to be a radically different paddle than what your used to which might be exactly what you are looking for.

Can't help a ton on your sizing and good fit, but guessing you would be a small in most lines, maybe a medium. Would check out the jackson star series, pyranha jed, or wavesport new one is the mobius I think. Also seeing more and more Fluid's as well. The nice thing about playboats is there are a ton of newer used boats that do not take the beating of normal kayaking available.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
What runs/class are you planning on using it on?
thebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #5

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 10
I mostly paddle class 3 but I want to use it at play parks the ones I usually go to are glenwood springs and clear creak
trevor4646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #6

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
In no way would I recommend spending 600 or 700 hard earned bones on a used boat!

Even if it was out only once.

There are way too many boats for sale under 500 to even consider 600+ a used boat. I would recommend something a bit used and cheeper! I would NOT worry so much about what boat. Cuz most newer play boats will get the beginner job done. After a couple months of playin you'll get honed in on what works for you and no matter what boat you buy today, you'll wish you got something different. If you got the money for new; then a rockstar would be high on my list!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I've only been kayaking for 2 years so take my info for what it's worth, but I found myself in your position at the beginning of the season so I figured I would share my input. I started with a dagger centrifuge the year before and it was great for learning, but I knew if I wanted to learn more advanced tricks it was outdated. I could do spins in my dagger and that's about it, but now I can do 2 ended cartwheels, wave wheels, clean spins, stern quirts, and the occasional loop though I haven't managed to land back on the wave yet. I picked up a 2011 medium rockstar for about $500 used and I think it was totally worth it (I'm 5'10" and around 150#). I wondered if I was going to be able to progress down river with it too and it turns out I did. I mainly only ran shoshone the year before; but this season I ran slaughterhouse 3x, pine creek 2x, numbers once, dowd chute 2x, bogan canyon (marble to redstone on the crystal), and barrel springs.

I haven't paddled any other play boats so I can't really speak to them but from what I have seen from the ton of time I have spent at the wave is that the jitsu and jed seem to be great boats as well.
forum8fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Rockstar's on barrel:
forum8fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #9

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CRS View Post
We've got a couple used boats that would fit you very well.

2013 Dagger Jitsu 5.5 or a 2013 Jackson Star, both from our demo fleet.

In our opinion the Jitsu is a bit better as a playboat while the Star is a bit better at down river play and all around river use. Both would fit you great at your height and weight.
The Jitsu is awesome.
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013   #10

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
I will never own another playboat besides a jackson. Easy to roll and comfy. Surfs and plays great. Now if they still only had the 2008 mold I'd be all set
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote