Playboat for a big guy - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-06-2008   #1

Commercial Paleontology
Playboat for a big guy

I am looking to pick up a playboat. After being in the Glennwood hole the other day I am stoked for something other than my Jackson Superfun & wanting something more playful. I'm having a hard time throwing the SFun around...I know it's technique which I obviously must not have but thought a smaller boat might help me out. I am Looking at Blissstick Rad195, Jackson Superstar,
Fluid Flirt Lg. And maybe the new Fluid Nemisis when the larger size is out.

I am 6'3" 215lbs. Any you big guys out there have anything to say about those boats.

No offense but if you paddle any of those boats in a smaller size...no real need to respond to this post because I am really only interested in hearing from people who are carrying my similar weight & height.

Thanxs,

MtnGuyXC

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008   #2

Austin/ Santa Fe, Texas/ New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1982
I am 6ft 210ish and currently paddle a RAD 185. I have also paddled the 195 and paddled a Superfun prior to getting involved with Bliss-stick. I love the RADs. They are mega fast and tough as nails. Mine are demos so everybody has thrashed them. Took some getting used to, they seem to reward good roll technique and punish poor technique where the Superfun will just roll if ya think about it. The RADs have my favorite backband system, the Superfun my least favorite. The adjustable thigh braces are a neat feature but have a bit more flex than the Jackson system and take some time to dial in. Not sure where you are but there or 4 or 5 BS agents in CO, just go to Bliss-stick.com and click on US dealers to get in touch with one and get in a 195 for a demo run. I think you'll dig it.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008   #3

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Hey MtnGuy

I am the same height and 200lbs. and just got a Superstar last season. I fit in well and its comfortable for long trips. It rolls just as easy as any other Jackson kayak and plays very well in holes.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2008   #4

Hey I am 6' 7" 215lbs and paddle a superstar and love it. It is easy to throw around and very comfortable. I have also paddled it in everything from low to high water and in bigger water it tends to want to stern squirt but is easy to adjust to. Awsome boat for big guys.
YakaRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #5

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
2nd

Yeah... I second the star series. I am only 5-10 and a buck 90 but love my allstar. It is easy to paddle on the down stream. Roles really easy. Plays with the best of them. I think it is one of the easiest boats to toss down an end. Wouldn't trade it for any other boat. I have a buddy that paddles the project 62. He likes it but I found the project harder to toss around. The only thing with the jacksons is the outfitting. Best outfitting I have every used but you need to know how to use it. Once shown how to properly set it up you will love it. If you try to figure it out on your own it is kind of confusing.
j.p.comeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
SupaStar. Bwilkins is your weight and heightish... loves his. I've been in one for a demo day. Great boat. Hard to beat the comfort + performance.

Forgot about the Agent. Another boat that I demo'd and felt fairly comfortable in. I'm right at the 200 marker for weight and 6'2. The agent didn't spin as easy as the star though.

*Note. I'm a terrible playboater.
jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #7

kayaker
you should check out the Liquid Logic Ronin 59... super comfy and great boat for everything.
ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuyXC View Post
I am looking to pick up a playboat. After being in the Glennwood hole the other day I am stoked for something other than my Jackson Superfun & wanting something more playful. I'm having a hard time throwing the SFun around...I know it's technique which I obviously must not have but thought a smaller boat might help me out. I am Looking at Blissstick Rad195, Jackson Superstar,
Fluid Flirt Lg. And maybe the new Fluid Nemisis when the larger size is out.

I am 6'3" 215lbs. Any you big guys out there have anything to say about those boats.

No offense but if you paddle any of those boats in a smaller size...no real need to respond to this post because I am really only interested in hearing from people who are carrying my similar weight & height.

Thanxs,

MtnGuyXC
I am about 6'4 185lbs and size 13 feet. I have a Liquidlogic Airhead (for sale) Its def a big guy boat at 65gal. I have paddled the 4fun(didnt like it at all) and the RADs which are sweet along with the Airhead. the airhead has a bit more stern volume though which is great in the hole, wave, and especially if you plan on running some harder ww in it. If you can find one its worth a shot. If you come to Durango anytime soon you can use mine. I wasnt that impressed by the flirt, it mostly just felt HUGE on me but i dont fit in the Med.
Old 04-07-2008   #9

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
I have a Pyranha M/L 420 and am your size--actually a little heavier (220lbs). It is a great playboat--I can definitely throw it around well. I am selling it though to get a 4fun, as I end up running the river more than strictly play and want something just a bit more forgiving. Have you tried the 4 fun for your size? Seems like you may be better suited to play in that. The 420 is comfortable though and a sweet boat--just a little more than I can handle right now honestly. PM me if you want to check it out.
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #10

Commercial Paleontology
PB Big Guy

Thanxs for the opinions folks....

I will be doing some demoing real soon back east when I hit up Stony Creek,Yough, Cheat .etc Sounds as though the Superstar is well liked. I do luv my SFun & the rolling is very forgiving.

Anything at all on the Fluid Nemisis? anybody?

MtnGuyXC
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote