Plateu Creek and Buzzard Creek Beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2005   #1

Plateu Creek and Buzzard Creek Beta

The guage shows that Plateu is running around 600 cfs. I looked and the guage is below the confluence with buzzard creek. So is it safe to assume that buzzard is running as well? And if so are there any new hazards down there? Like some farmer putting a cattle guard across the river?
Let me know. Especially yall GJ boaters.
thanks
tony

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We did Buzzard a few weeks back when Plateau gauge was 580. It felt really rocky because the river isn't deeply channelled. The good news is that most of the water from the Plateau gauge was from Buzzard creek so that gauge is a great indicator for Buzzard. Personally, I made a note in my guide not to go back unless the Plateau gauge was 800 plus. The rock in the bed has pumice-like qualities so it really slows your boat down when you bump it.

If you do go, there were 4-5 fences, 1 cable, and one huge 40" dia. tree that goes over the entire river. None were hard to spot and only the tree required getting out of the water, just be aware if the water is higher it might be harder to catch eddies above the fences so be smart about your eddies. You have to actually lift them to go under them so you can't just duck and blast. Nothing was really dicey.

That said, it was a fun run that I would be worth doing twice in a day if the water was there. No hard drops, but fast, continuous gradient.
Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005   #3

Ya, that thing needs to be at food in order to not be boat abussive. The run starts out great, but gets porgressivly more trashy untile you long for the take-out. Some of the fences can sneek up on you if you aren't paying attention. Let the people with good eye sight go first, because it is very possible to just paddle right into one on a dark day. The huge tree spaning the creek comes at an island and both sides are blocked. If you get sucked into the right channel, you may not be able to stop. Pay attention!
bigboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2005   #4

We did Buzzard a few weeks back, too. I would definitely recommend more water. The big tree in the right channel of the island snuck up on me (bad eyesight) and by the time I saw it was too late. The good news is that most of the branches on the left portion of the tree are now broken off. At 600ish on the plateau gauge, I was able to make it under (barely). Ditto on the longing for the take out part; we were all pretty sick of scraping and micro-boofing rocks by the last mile or two. It's longer then you think!
Binge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005   #5

Thanks guys. Have fun this weekend
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005   #6

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I was there yesterday, and ya it needs a bit more water. But Im going back Tomorrow and Monday, if anyone is interested. We are taking wire cutters with us as well. The big tree can be run on the left channel. It makes a sick tight rocky drop, but its doable. With temps going up, the water should go with.

Josh
720-289-8624
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005   #7

Ski Patrol
Don't forget that Escalante is not too far away. Buzzard creek is not worth doing more than once IMO.
DeLiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005   #8

True, but if Escalante is to high to boat, at least for some of us, then back to buzzard
Old 05-15-2005   #9

Went today, Lots more water, great fun, several close calls. The Fences are not much of a problem, the fence that was under the bridge we ziptied to the bridge. The river wide logs can be run under, except the one that covers two channels, The right channel is not runnable, we had ppl pin there. The left channel is runnable, far left line, with a left boof dodging a pin rock half way down. Holes are getting bigger, and hydros are showing up. Lots of fun, going back tommorrow.
Old 05-16-2005   #10

Also, noone has yet to mention the fallen bridge that you have to duck under immediately after the first fallen tree you have to duck under. I don't know how you would get under these if it went up too much more. Also at the lower riverwide log, avoid that right channel at all costs! Getting pinned on it SUCKS!
Jesse D is offline   Reply With Quote