Planning CO Trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-01-2019   #1

Planning CO Trip

Hello!

I'm planning on heading to CO (from the SE) to boat June 15th, and the snow pack is looking solid this year. What should the levels be like around Buena Vista / Crested Butte mid June? Any predictions?

I ran OBJ last year on the low side and would like to get all of the runs in CB (multiple times perhaps) but looking for medium flows. Is June 15th probably too early this year? Will everything be really high? Should we push the date back some?

Thanks!

wgbennett83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019   #2

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Thats typical high water. And its gonna be a big year. Medium flows early julyish. At least for the Arkansas. Best guess at this point.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerflatlander View Post
Thats typical high water. And its gonna be a big year. Medium flows early julyish. At least for the Arkansas. Best guess at this point.
Do you think that will be accurate for CB runs like OBJ, Daisy, etc too? I'd be happy to run the AR high but prefer medium in CB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019   #4

Florence, Colorado
No clue on CB area. Keep an eye on the thread and someone will likely answer that part of the equation.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019   #5

Fraser, Colorado
If you got the time to spend out hear, you could always just plan to head straight to the Ark, and enjoy some high water goodness while you wait for CB stuff to drop to a good level. No idea on stuff down by CB, but Iím guessing Ark will go on a normallish schedule, and even if CB were to high, gonna be a crap ton of good boating all over Colorado this spring, if your not set on OBJ and such.
Have fun whatever you go with, and if you are looking for a boating buddy on the Ark and donít mind a rafter, hit me up.
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
You could pull up some graphs from similar snowpack years, if you want to be analytical, but just based on experience, I'd say it's too hard to predict. It depends too much on weather patterns. A storm could roll in, cool things off and tamp things down for several days, or we get sunny and 90 degrees and everything will crank. High alpine creeks like in CB have a fairly large diurnal swing. OBJ is usually the main concern for high water so you can aim for the trough mid morning or so if it's getting too high.

Mid-late June is usually when things peak. I think that's the optimal time to be in the state even if it means you miss something on your hit list because it's too high. Something good will be in, which is a much better problem than everything being too low. Kayaking is all about flexibility afterall. Frankly I'd rather run the Ark at 4k than go kayak sledding down CB creeks anyway, but everybody's got their favorites - I mean, falling off waterfalls and slides is pretty damn fun too.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt man View Post
Have fun whatever you go with, and if you are looking for a boating buddy on the Ark and donít mind a rafter, hit me up.
Hell yeah. Of course I don't mind a rafter We would love to have some company. Would like to run Pine Creek this year. Hit Clear Creek of the Ark, Numbers, and Fractions last year (and Numbers/Fractions the year before at a much healthier flow). I had planned on starting in Buena Vista! Loved it there.
Old 04-02-2019   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
You could pull up some graphs from similar snowpack years, if you want to be analytical, but just based on experience, I'd say it's too hard to predict. It depends too much on weather patterns. A storm could roll in, cool things off and tamp things down for several days, or we get sunny and 90 degrees and everything will crank. High alpine creeks like in CB have a fairly large diurnal swing. OBJ is usually the main concern for high water so you can aim for the trough mid morning or so if it's getting too high.

Mid-late June is usually when things peak. I think that's the optimal time to be in the state even if it means you miss something on your hit list because it's too high. Something good will be in, which is a much better problem than everything being too low. Kayaking is all about flexibility afterall. Frankly I'd rather run the Ark at 4k than go kayak sledding down CB creeks anyway, but everybody's got their favorites - I mean, falling off waterfalls and slides is pretty damn fun too.
Sounds like our planned time is solid then Could try to time OBJ for medium flows and get all kinds of other cool stuff. What would you suggest running? I've ran a lot of the Ark, Castle Creek, Slaughterhouse, and Taylor the past few years. Happy to run them all again but would like to see some new stuff. Bailey's looks like it's a lot of fun.

And I've not ran the Numbers at 4k but hit at at 2300 and it was pretty damn fun. Still probably preferred OBJ though

Thanks for your reply BTW!
Old 04-02-2019   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgbennett83 View Post
Sounds like our planned time is solid then Could try to time OBJ for medium flows and get all kinds of other cool stuff. What would you suggest running? I've ran a lot of the Ark, Castle Creek, Slaughterhouse, and Taylor the past few years. Happy to run them all again but would like to see some new stuff. Bailey's looks like it's a lot of fun.

And I've not ran the Numbers at 4k but hit at at 2300 and it was pretty damn fun. Still probably preferred OBJ though

Thanks for your reply BTW!
If you are willing to drive a little bit look at the Upper Animas and its headwaters, Poudre, Eagle, and Roaring Fork valley.

Bailey is a weird one as it is normally dependent on releases from Denver water, but it prolly will go on natural snowpack this year.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
And now for an alternative POV. I live in the mountains and there is more snow than I've seen in 20 years. In addition, so far, we have not had the dust storms that accelerate the melt. If we have a cool wet spring (as is forecast) I think middle of June is going to be scary big on anything with a major uncontrolled contribution. If it was me, based on what I see, I'd plan July 1
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote