Planning a trip from the east coast - looking for class III-IV rivers in March - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-26-2011   #1

Saint john, New Brunswick
Paddling Since: 2008
Planning a trip from the east coast - looking for class III-IV rivers in March

Hello,
My fiance and I are planning a trip around March 8th. We are comming from the east coast. I'm more of a class III easy IV paddler (I can handle IVs, but I generally enjoy IIIs more). He is a class IV-V boater, but hes willing to hang out on the easier rivers with me. Does anybody have any recommendations on good rivers that are running in March? I would also need some advice on the best town to fly into to be close to these rivers. We would also need to rent boats - any suggestions on where we could do this at?

It would be absolutely amazing if these rivers were within a reasonable (2-3 hour) drive to place we could ski as well. This is not absolutely required - its likely "wishful thinking"

Thanks for your help!

htracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
There isn't much running in March usually. Last year they were doing small releases on the Arkansas in March. It wasn't very much water, but it was boat-able and fun. Really about the only other things running in March are Shoshone on the Colorado and possibly Waterton on the South Platte.

My suggestion would be to wait a couple more months (the runoff typically begins in May in Colorado), but if you really want to come in March I would say come to Buena Vista. Fly in to DIA or Colorado Springs and drive the couple hours to the Ark Valley. The Arkansas is a class III-IV river (mostly class III at lower flows), and some of the runs on it include the Numbers, Fractions, Browns Canyon, Bighorn Sheep Canyon, and the Royal Gorge. Colorado Kayak Supply Kayaks, Kayak Accessories, Gear, Fishing Equipment, Kayaking Accessory, is located in Buena Vista and can set you up with all the gear you need.

There is also great skiing nearby. 45-1 hr from Monarch, Copper and Cooper. 1.5 hrs from Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge, Arapahoe Basin and Loveland.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #3

Thanks for your help Imyers. Maybe I need to consider a different time frame for our trip. March was perfect for us as he is a teacher and doesn't get many option with time off. March is our "spring break" - the next option would be Easter on April 9th, or wait it out until schools out in June. That would squash the skiing options, but I'm sure we could also find some climbing or surfing to peak our interest. I'll also have a look at the Arkansas as you suggested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011   #4

Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If your looking to ski and paddle in March I might recommend Oregon.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #5

I will consider Oregon Cphilli - thanks for the suggestion. I'm definitely open to ideas!
Old 07-26-2011   #6

Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
I've been on a couple fun spring break river trips to northern California (Trinity, Salmon, Smith, Kalamath rivers). You can also get some ocean surf in, then head to Tahoe for some skiing. If you come to Colorado in March, then expect to spend most of your time skiing, and maybe one afternoon boating to realize that the boating in March is nearly non-existent. There are a couple of runs that go in March as lmyers suggested, but not worth travelling for.
Old 07-26-2011   #7

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Gunnison Gorge could be running, Westwater, Moab daily would be running and are lower elevation and warmer climates. Telluride and Crested Butte and Powderhorn for skiing, and all these places are quieter and stay away from the crowds and traffic of the front range.
Old 07-26-2011   #8

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Wait till schools out in June. The boating will be at it's peak, and you could still ski A Basin.
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #9

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
Check out these great deals on rental gear.
Rental Rates — Western State College of Colorado
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #10

albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2
NM gets going in March. Not a whole lot of options to boat (Rio Grande and few a creeks) and rental gear would be hard to chase down. Taos ski valley could still be open and the BC skiing can be good. It is the SW and March is one of the best months to visit. Plenty of sight seeing between there and Santa Fe.
eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class ii, class iii