pilar racecourse at 350? worth stopping? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-05-2012   #1

albuquerque, New Mexico
pilar racecourse at 350? worth stopping?

Headed to the chama again this weekend for water, will have a free day on friday...I haven't ever done the racecourse below 500, is it even worth it to take the detour? I'll be with a total newbie, would probably want to run orilla verde too...
would we just be dragging plastic the whole way? anything even remotely challenging at this level?

bigscottone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscottone
Headed to the chama again this weekend for water, will have a free day on friday...I haven't ever done the racecourse below 500, is it even worth it to take the detour? I'll be with a total newbie, would probably want to run orilla verde too...
would we just be dragging plastic the whole way? anything even remotely challenging at this level?
Raft companies take fatties down to like 150. I wouldn't drive too far out of the way, but if you are in the area, go for it.
Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012   #3

albuquerque, New Mexico
bad idea to bring a new kid?
bigscottone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012   #4
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
Depends on the kid i guess....

Pilar goes at low flow....Its plenty of III- fun pinballing rock dodging and rock splats, couple little surf waves. Good eddylines and channels for practicing rolls.... the lines are there even for Small rafts and IKs. No Problem.
the Race course is still a lot more technical II-III then the chama. (and much warmer water too.) it will be challenging for a new boater, because theres lots of moves to make, but other then avoiding tipping over in shallow spots (narrows/herringbone) it doesnt get much easier. not pushy at all. (except big rocks)

only ones to really scout are the first rapid- Alberts falls, & Big rocks rapid. (after the low bridge) Big rocks slot is the only III (+?) dangerous spot. L-R slot move with an undercut cave thing in the slot. the move is easy if you eddy out L. Drifting into it willy nilly is bad. easy carry on the right (literally a twenty foot portage over the ledge). I have had my mom and step daughter (when she was 4 ) walk that while i wedged a raft through the slot.

wow. it must be time for bed. I spouted all that for ya THEN noticed you've done the RC before. wups....

the state park section is going to be reallly damn shallow in a lot of places. but probably still floatable. i would skip that in favor of chama floating.

actually another idea is that you can just park and play at after 5/sleeping beauty with the newb.

for eddyline/roll practice its plenty deep in the big pool below after 5.
but be wary- sleeping beauty is shallow and has 2 rocks in the eddyline on River right if you roll.

And Yes when I was a 2nd year guide in 2000. we took 6 loads in 13' x8'w Achillles down all the way to 150cfs... all summer long.... talk a bout character building....F#$k. we had no small boats at that point.

better just to kayak. in general.
abron is offline   Reply With Quote