Piedra access? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-16-2014   #1

Ft Collins, Colorado
Piedra access?

Can someone remind me - what's the access situation for the Piedra? Is the road open to the upper or lower putin yet? Wasn't there a fire in that area last year or the year before - are there major tree issues or new landslides? Haven't been down there for a few years.

johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Good info on a thread in the rafting forum:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...dra-52244.html
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #3

Arboles, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I am unsure if the First Fork road is open yet, but plan on running the lower down to the lake this sun and do some fence dropping (with permissions, of course). There was a fire 2 years ago and the folks from Pagosa Outside got FS permission to raft down with chainsaws, etc last spring and remove obstacles from river. Other trees could have come down this winter, but that is the case ever year. The folks at Pagosa Outside (if they are answering phones yet) or the FS would have the skinny on road access, etc. I would imagine it will open fairly soon. Of course, the Piedra Road is open and rafts could be put in there and run all the way to US 160. Run-off got up to just over 1000 cfs this past weekend and has dropped to 700 with the cool spell, and I anticipate it will hold steady and climb again toward the weekend.
grin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2014   #4

Ft Collins, Colorado
Thanks to both. I should have checked the rafting forum first - good reminder.
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by grin1 View Post
I am unsure if the First Fork road is open yet, but plan on running the lower down to the lake this sun and do some fence dropping (with permissions, of course). There was a fire 2 years ago and the folks from Pagosa Outside got FS permission to raft down with chainsaws, etc last spring and remove obstacles from river. Other trees could have come down this winter, but that is the case ever year. The folks at Pagosa Outside (if they are answering phones yet) or the FS would have the skinny on road access, etc. I would imagine it will open fairly soon. Of course, the Piedra Road is open and rafts could be put in there and run all the way to US 160. Run-off got up to just over 1000 cfs this past weekend and has dropped to 700 with the cool spell, and I anticipate it will hold steady and climb again toward the weekend.
Read the link above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
My FS contact said there is avalanche debris covering the road and they will be getting a dozer in there but it will be at least 2-3 weeks before you might see the road open.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...dra-52244.html
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access