phoenix shuttle - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-24-2013   #1

phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2013
phoenix shuttle

looking for some kind folks who may want to plan a couple trips on the verde or salt.i live 30 minutes from needle rock its a nice hour long float to box bar but id like to see other streatches too.

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Bobber: I live in Scottsdale and would interested. Let me know when you were thinking and maybe we can get out on the water!

-Micah
Micah Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #3

phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2013
I have weekends off and live on cave creek and 101 prob 35 or 45 min from needle rock.its about an hour float to the take out at box bar.im new and have only been out 3 or 4 times.there is also 19 miles of river in between horseshoe and Bartlett flats,but that would take a while.im sure there is lots of other spots.or from Bartlett dam to needle rock,all these are close to us.eventually I would like to float the 40 miles from childs to sheeps bridge,in a year or so after I get more experience.im leaving for Nevada black rock desert in 30 days for a few weeks so itll be before or after then.
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Bobber:

A buddy and I are running a part of the salt river wilderness this weekend. Leaving Saturday morning and finishing up Sunday. Flows are low and may have to portage one rapid, but we have gone when it is lower and had a blast. We run in packrafts. If you have a small boat and want to join, let me know.

- Micah
Old 08-09-2013   #5

phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1970
Hello Bobber and Micah.

Micah, I hope you tell about your trip this weekend, I'm curious where you're put-in'ing and take-out'ing and how you're shuttling.

Bobber, if you don't hook up with Micah, there is a small group of us on the lower Salt tomorrow morning.

Let me know if you don't go with Micah and if you are interested in the easy float tomorrow.

Mark Jibilian
mjibilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013   #6

Denver, Colorado
Just to confirm, we did run the upper salt through jump-off canyon this weekend. Put in at Gleason and took out at Horseshoe Bend.

The flows were low but most everything was runnable in our boats (packrafts). We portaged Black rock and Corkscrew but ran everything else. Corkscrew was maybe runnable but looked risky especially when we knew we were the only ones there. I ran it back in April with more water and it looked much better then. That said, both portages were easy with packrafts. All in all a great mid-summer paddle if you consider it is August. Flows were at about 280-300 Cfs I believe.

A couple of notes :

- the road to Gleason is horrendous, at least for a Honda CRV.

- the gate at horseshoe bend was locked this time. So we had to walk about 5-10 minutes from the takeout up to the car.
Old 08-12-2013   #7
Adventurer

Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Monsoon Season! Ran the day stretch a couple weeks ago, R4 a 15'er @ 500cfs!
Old 08-12-2013   #8

Denver, Colorado
Cool. Wish we had hit it that high but other stuff got in the way. Was awesome to get out just the same!
Old 09-06-2013   #9

phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1970
Bobber

You mentioned the Verde, so here it is.
We are floating below Bartlett down to Box Bar tomorrow (Saturday).
Let me know.

Micah, you had mentioned an overnight this weekend, but I can't overnight this weekend.

Mark Jibilian
mjibilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #10

Bisters, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
We put in kinda late last Friday and caught the "high" water on a beasley-gap run. All went well until driving back out at around 7pm. We found chasm creek in full flood and had to wait until near 1 am to continue out. Chasm looked to be at least 700-800cfs. Good times on the dirty verde!
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote