PFD laws? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-03-2008   #11

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
casper has a law in affect supposedly. the only problem is enforcing.... people still die every year. alot of tubers. and about 99 percent do not wear pfd's.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008   #12
dq

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
no
dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #13

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Biggest problems are respect issues and uneducated people being stupid
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2008   #14

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1980
NO

NO!
willieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarnow View Post
All you communists that think some jackass sitting in a chair needs to make my decisions for me need to rethink the effect that your bullshit has on the rest of us.
Although I agree with everything else you said, I think you need to take another look at communism. Marx's vision of a communist society ultimately involved the complete dissolution of the government, leaving people to govern themselves. In fact, IIRC, libertarianism was initially an offshoot of communism. Marx apparently had a very optimistic view of human nature.

Just being a bit nit-picky.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #16

Golden, Colorado
straight up No. high water vs. low water are two completely different worlds. everyone's getting all excited this run-off but what happens next year when we're at an all time low? it would be terrible to have to wear a PFD at all times on a low water float and bloat trip. two many dynamics in this issue, you would have to blanket all rivers/creeks and all water craft, at all flow levels.
then what would all the badass squirters do? how are you suppose to get DT with a PFD on???
Old 06-03-2008   #17

Golden, Colorado
aren't there some permitted river trips that you do have to wear PFDs at all times? or is it all permitted trips??
Old 06-03-2008   #18
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
OK- no law then. More education... something people will remember and utilize. Someone took the initiative (not sure who) to put up signs at the Animas and Dolores putins this year that said, and I misquote:
The water is cold and fast. Someone expects you home tonight! Be there. If you wear nothing else at all, at least wear a properly secured life vest at all times!
Humorous, but to the point.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #19

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
The law as it stands in Colorado, for private boaters 'river running', is one coast guard approved pfd on board per person, and everyone under 13 years old has to wear an appropriate pfd. Many sections of river, regulated by various agencies, do require you to wear a pfd at all times. Utah stipulates flat water rules where wearing the pfd is not mandatory.

The thing about wearing a pfd in turbulent water is that it is just common sense. However most people don't have enough experience in this environment to have developed this common sense. This is a valid argument for making a law that mandates nothing more than common sense. It may be unenforcable, but potentially will save lives (big point here), as well as rescue efforts, time, resources, and taxpayer money to support rescue efforts (anpther significant point).

I guess my personal opinion is that it is difficult to make a blanket decision for all rivers, even in a particular area. But I am fully supportive of the individual agencies who regulate the various sections of whitewater rivers to be empowered to create a minimum mandate for common sense, not unlike a seatbelt law, for areas where this is appropriate.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #20
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Educate, not legislate.

I could support a law saying the people have to have a PFD with them or on their craft, but not requiring people to wear it.